Tuesday, October 26, 2010

To Halifax for Flu Shots


Yesterday we left early to go to Halifax for our annual Flu shots. And on the way I took a few pics of the city.




We live about 35 km. from Halifax. On a 'good' day it will take about 30-40 minutes to get there.




As we approach the MacKay Bridge that will take us from the city of Dartmouth to Halifax, we slow down to pay the toll and proceed across.




It has quite a view of the surrounding area. This is called the Bedford Basin. During WW2 this was filled with Allied war ships and supply ships. Of course I was told this.....way before my time!


                      Bedford Basin
Also, right under this bridge was where the 1917 Halifax Explosion occurred. Both sides of the harbour were completely leveled. 


You can see the other bridge ( MacDonald) in the distance and the mouth of Halifax Harbour to the Atlantic Ocean.




Halifax was founded in 1749 by the British. Before this, they (the British) fought the French and their ally, the Mi'kmaq, for years for control of Nova Scotia. The Acadians, the French who live here, are a thriving minority today and there are regions where French is the first language.


This picture shows the Town Clock that dates way back to the 1700's and is situated on Citadel Hill which was a British fortress and today is a national park.




After we got our flu shots and being just next door, we decided to go into the Halifax Public Gardens. These are Victorian gardens.  Here we go.


               Main gate entrance
I worked in these gardens for four years when attending university. Learned a lot about gardening and cutting grass! 


                  Who's that! Oh yeah, Ron.
I always loved the large water fountains/monuments here.


















I remember as kids my parents would take us here to feed the ducks.


                    Times have changed.
We just saw a similar tree we have in our garden.....yikes! Never knew it grew so BIG!


                   Katsura Tree
As you can see there was still some colour in the Gardens.




The Gardens will be closing very soon till the spring. Too bad. It would be good to see it covered in snow! A whole different look.


                  Couldn't resist this shot....the seagull didn't move an inch!
Hope you enjoyed this little/long tour of Halifax, my hometown. So much more to see. Another time.


Victorian beds
                 Ron with matching large-leafed tree






19 comments:

  1. The gardens are just beautiful! Looks like you all had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning pics,love the entrance gates! I agree it would be interesting to see everything covered in snow.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics....we just went to the local Wal*Mart for our shots..... ;(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photographs. Takes me back to when we visited Halifax.

    I read a book about that explosion in the harbor. I couldn't put it down. Spellbinding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetie,

    Do you want to know why I love your blog? I am always learning something or seeing a picture that brings back warm memories. I just wish the Texas gardens had such a bright variety of colors. Later today, I will have my oldest read this post -- history is always useful.

    Personally, I can not wait to get a SLR camera. Eating my own lips in envy of the shots you get.

    Have a wonderful day,
    Will be back later,
    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this type of gardens. I always make it a point to visit them when visiting any city that has them.
    Around my house, everything is so new. It's kewl to see something with a little history behind it. And the mature plants too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what beautiful pictures Jim! And thanks for the history lesson, I love learning about new places and things. There's only one thing missing from this wonderful outing of yours, and that is Sophie. She was probably at home watching the house, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tour! I love the gardens, so much more color than we have here! It's so nice to know bloggers from all the different areas of the world, I get to see places, that I would have missed out on! Very beautiful!

    What, you didn't take Sophie?

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, so I went and got my school atlas (yes, from the 1950s) to see where you guys are located. I've been to New Brunswick and Niagara Falls, my only trips to Canada. It's so much fun to see your photos and now know where you are in the world. They even showed PEI on this map. Love the pictures and Ron is quite a handsome chap, isn't he? -- Inger

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful garden and neat place to be able to work and enjoy! The fountains and statues are lovely too! What do you think they would say if they could talk, especially the one with the seagul on her head?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pics - I like the look of Halifax - my kind'a country! Colours are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo, I'm a sucker for tours! Love it, thanks!

    The big leaf tree looks like a big leaf magnolia, but I didn't think they grew so far north.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating post, such an interesting and pretty town. I live just outside Halifax West Yorkshire, England and I will have to do a tour around this Halifax, won't I?
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sophie was safe in a parkade. She wouldn't have been allowed to go into the Gardens. Glad you all liked the tour. Yes, Halifax is steeped in history and culture......a very special place for us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful gardens! Love the fall colors. We're still very green here....even the grass!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, you just taught me something. I thought that all of the Acadians had moved to the Louisiana area, and had no idea that any of that culture were still in Canada.

    The gardens are beautiful, and your tour was wonderful. Your pictures always contain so very much to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a lovely area you live in. Great selection of photos as well.

    We never get our flu shots.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  18. The public garden looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gill, we always do because we HATE being sick! Typical male response I guess but we don't do 'sick' well at all!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails