Saturday, October 2, 2010

Retro Saturday




You can't get any more 'retro', as this post will tell, than taking a look at the 1970's.


A few of my 'peeps' (followers) wanted to see a few pics of me with my 'Afro' from back in the 70's.


Now, I wouldn't usually do this for anybody you know, 'cause I have a reputation to uphold! lol


Here goes.


Let me first tell you that my hair was ALL NATURAL. Some people, my aunt in particular, was convinced it was a perm. NOT! Three of us in the family of nine kids had curly, I mean really curly, hair. A couple had wavy hair, and the rest had 'poker straight' hair ( the bas-----!) 



My younger brother, Bernard, had lovely long, straight, silky hair. Wish I had a picture. Hair was very important back then in expressing 'where' you were on things at the time. In fact, they made a musical about it ....'Hair'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzSFReaf4T4


For those of you too young to remember, and for those of you wanting to forget, the late 60's was a period when 'free expression' was everywhere. Some wanted things to remain the same (like my Dad), while others wanted to, let's say, be 'natural'.



It was quite a time to live through. I, for one, loved it! It was a time to explore, disagree with the status quo, and also try to make things a little better. In other words, improve on the culture in which we found ourselves and in which we had no say whatsoever.


Part of this 'rebellion' was to let your hair grow...thank you Beatles!!!



My friends and I did our best in this endeavor and this pic shows me in 1971. I guess I really was a 'freak'.




A year or so later I found myself in Freeport, Bahamas. It was June 1972 and I had bought myself a graduation gift. I just graduated from St.Mary's University.




While there, the hostess of the hotel approached me on the first day and said: "Brother, you have the nicest hair!" She was a black woman and was convinced that I was black as well. I tried to convince her that I wasn't but she would hear nothing of it!


A couple years later, after I had just met Ron, my husband, we went to Nassau, Bahamas.


Boy, was I at my skinniest !!


I was attending Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, at the time, taking my degree in 'special' education. A year later in 1974 I got my first teaching job in the Annapolis Valley of N.S. And still had my hair.


I kept my hair 'natural' up to around the mid 80's, I guess when it was no longer in style.


This last photo was taken when I had taken my first class to a 'camp' for a few days.


It feels like all of this was so very long ago but also just like yesterday at the same time. 


I enjoyed doing this actually and I hope it brings back good memories for some and was an education for those who only heard of the 60's and 70's. It was a very exciting time to start the 'growing up' process.


Peace man! Power to the people!! Right on!!!




22 comments:

  1. Ah Jabacue that post does take me back to my days of 8-tracks. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should post this, I just left facebook and commenting back & forth on 'memories' from the past w/ friends. It was fun. I tried to be groovy back then but fell short (very short) and ended up being just plain geeky instead. haha. Jim, I will have to say that you're retro pic's hair remind me of a cross between Welcome Back Kotter, what was that teachers name? and weird Al Yankovick. This was great!! I might have to dig up some oldie pictures of my own now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics, and I love the hair! I was just a kid during the era of peace and love, but I often look back with fondness at those times. How the world has changed since!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chambray Blue got it: Welcome Back, Kotter. (Fun show!) The hair is groovy, as well as the clothes. I think you were able to pull off the look of the day very well. I was one of those with the stick straight hair, but I couldn't imitate the Woodstock look very well, and there weren't many hippies in Oklahoma. Just a lot of "goat ropers" back when country wasn't cool like it is today. Wish I still had a pair of my original bell bottoms. I could wear them at Halloween. Or maybe not...I may be skinny but I've had two kids since then and I can't even get into my wedding dress anymore. Loved the post, Jim!!!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Far out, man!

    You certainly looked different back then, but a "good different." :)

    This was a fun post; thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that Mr. Cotter in those shots?

    I too grew up in a family of 8 and some had straight hair and others can't do anything straight if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Groovy, baby! Peace and love, man! What a great afro! And I had to laugh at your comment about "poker straight hair." Every person I've ever known with curly hair wants straight hair. And every person with straight hair wants curly hair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were SO groovy.

    You still are. Without all that hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, i like that last picture of you. You were a cutie!
    I found a rubber stamp recently with a peace symbol on it and am having a blast using when i mail things out ;) Right on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Did you ever bring back memories. As I mentioned before, I was one of those with the ironing board maintained straight hair. I wasn't really wild, but I did my share of protests.

    My "proudest" moment was when I threw a tomato at Governor Nelson Rockefeller. Then, I ran like heck, and hid in my dorm room, sure that they were going to come arrest me, any minute. So, I don't even know if I hit him, or not. I'm guessing, not.

    Oh, and I agree, Kotter reincarnated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your "skinny" pic - my DH was that thin when I met him, he's not anymore LOL!
    Why is it people with curly hair hate it and people with straight hair hate it everybody wishes theirs was the other way around!
    I pretty much missed the 70s, with changing diapers and refereeing a slew of kids with Sesame Street in my ears............

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. . .Awesome. bro. . ..wowzzeer. . . nice hair.
    ESp like the last one of you sitting side view at a desk. . table. Way cool. ;-)

    Hmmm. . .wonder if i should try that. . . .hahahaaa

    justin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim - so stylish. You were definitely a cosmo 70s guy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg...there goes my heart again...that last picture!... hunka hunka burnin' love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband and I watched Talk To Me last night. It's about Peetey, the excon disc jockey on a radio station in DC that played soul music in the 60s and 70s. It was wonderful to hear Otis Redding, Sam Cooke and all the other greats. We commented on what an exciting time that was and how most young people stood for something and wanted change. It was such alive times.

    Remember: This is the first day of the rest of your life. Make love not war.

    Right on Jim, and thank you for bringing back some great times.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look like everyone else that was 'cool' from that time! A couple of those pictures look like magazine ads! But I've seen kids lately whose hair is just like that, so just like everything else, it's on its way back in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! Fab hair...LOL xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey man cool ! Great hair & great post thanks it was such fun .
    My hair was dead straight & now in my old age it's going wavy ! Hubby's sister used to accuse him of bleaching or adding lemon juice to blond his hair as it went so fair in the summer. It was just natral sunshine that dd it !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would you believe that I wrote my post today without knowing you'd also written about the 70's--and I LOVE that you included a pic of the Haight & Ashbury street signs! Love the photo of you in those, ahem, TIGHT SHORTS!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. lol ditto to all the other comments!!! garoovy, man...

    i was a teen in the early 70's but i married in 73, [17 years old] and also the year i graduated high school. those days will never come again, they will just be cheap imposters if they tried.. i love the music from that era, and everything about it. you do look like welcome back, kotter. did you know john travolta? heehee

    ReplyDelete
  21. My husband had that hair back in the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Far out! Nice looking fro. I had a permed fro in 1978, which was so far from my naturally stick straight, fine hair. The '70s were some interesting times. Thanks for bringing back memories.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails