Tuesday, August 27, 2013

In A Split Second


While I was visiting my father on the weekend
he got a phone call and was informed that
his sister-in-law, my aunt, was in the hospital
next to his veteran's hospital.


She had broken her leg due to a fall in her nursing home.
This was not good to hear as she was already becoming
very weak because of health issues.


She had always been a vibrant woman and she is my last remaining
aunt to whom I am close. I went to visit after I left Dad's.


She is the only surviving sibling in her family. 
As I entered her room her two daughters were
standing by the bed.


My aunt was groggy and not too aware of her surroundings.
The family had decided to go ahead with an operation the next day.
And my cousins were of course worried about the outcome.


It will require a lot of energy for this 88 year old woman
to recover from this fall and subsequent operation.


As I stood next to my aunt I reached for her hand and held it.
She squeezed it gently.


Thinking she had fallen asleep again I took my hand away.
She then began grasping into the air looking for my hand.


I took her hand again and felt an incredible calmness 
come over me. I realized it had been a long time since
I 'connected' with my mother's family. I mean really connect.
It was almost like channeling that side/line of the family.
I feel certain that my aunt felt this too, as she became very calm.

Besides never forgetting this moment I shared with her,
it made me realize how quickly things change and that a lifetime 
may seem a long time but it is over in a second.



(My aunt got through the operation and now the recovery
process begins.)



26 comments:

  1. Your choice of pictures is rather poignant, fitting well with the text. Glad she'll be recovering. Rather her leg than her hipbone because old folks don't recover much from that...
    Good luck to her!!
    Hoping she'll have a good physiotherapist
    to help her along.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruno. Strange thing is that she broke her hip 3 years ago and barely recovered, but did. She has weaken since then and we'll see how this goes. Heard last evening that she was not doing well.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, Jim. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. So beautifully told and illustrated... Wishing all the best for your family. You are blessed to have so much love in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often have those 'moments' where I know and feel something beautiful has just occurred. I am happy I got it across here, Mitch.

      Delete
  4. Many good thoughts for your aunt and her care providers

    Lovely narrative, I am sure she felt your mother through you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I felt Marty! My mother died 6 years ago and I was very close to her on many levels. This connection I had with my aunt was definitely a connection with Mom as well. It felt wonderful and warmed my heart.

      Delete
  5. This is a very heartwarming post, Jim. And you are right...an entire lifetime passes by in the blink of an eye. I wish all the best to your Aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I was able to share this moment I had with everyone, Martha. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. My boyfriend recently lost his 99 year old aunt who was also the last remaining sibling in the family. While it was a very sad occasion it was also a time for gathering and enjoying the company of each other. I wish your aunt well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it is a time to gather together, reminisce and appreciate this time.

      Delete
  7. Best wishes to your Aunt. You were there when she needed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad I dropped by Debra. I could see she was in trouble. The next few days will tell the story.

      Delete
  8. The wonderful series of images so well illustrates what you are saying. Wishing your aunt all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. Funny how when I took these images the day before I knew they would have a purpose.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely post. I'm so glad the two of you connected. When I worked at the nursing home we had many people come to us after breaking an arm, a leg, or a hip, and most recovered and did very well.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to hear Janie! I hope for the best with my aunt.

      Delete
  10. Yes a lovely post jimbo
    I have decided that I am not going to get infirm when old
    I am going to walk out onto the ice
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you John! Whatever works for you!
      Good to see you and I hope the weekend goes well at your 'open day'.

      Delete
  11. Happy to hear your aunt is better, Jim.
    Neat bubble! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she is not better by any means but at least the pain can be controlled now.
      That bubble was a bugger to 'catch' Sharon! I was hoping to catch it explode....next time.

      Delete
  12. surgery can be so complicated at her age, I'm glad to hear she came out of the operation o.k. It will be a long healing process and she will need alot of attention. Don't be upset or surprised to find that her memory has been affected. I am still having memory issues and I am much younger than she. Best wishes to her for a full recovery. And Jim, hold her hand as often as you possibly can, not only is it medicine to her it is the road to your heart and the loving treasure link to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, that was exactly how it felt as I held her hand. I was linked to my mother through my aunt and a that whole side of family. It was very moving for me and my cousins could see that it was a special moment. Thanks Joanne for this insightful suggestion. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  13. Hi Y'all,

    You are so right, life is such a very fragile thing...and way to short...few people pause to enjoy the journey (smell the roses)

    Do so hope your Aunt and your Dad continue to do well and enjoy life.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails