Monday, August 5, 2013

Contemplative Monday


The following quote is from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes From Pema Chodron'.

REFRAIN YOURSELF


"It is painful when you see how in spite of everything


you continue in your neurosis;


sometimes it has to wear itself out like an old shoe.


However, refraining is very helpful as long as


you don't impose too authoritarian a voice on yourself.


Refraining is not a New Year's resolution,


not a setup where you plan your next failure by saying,


"I see what I do and I will never do it again",


and then you feel pretty bad when you do it again within the half hour.


Refraining comes about spontaneously when you see how your neurotic action works.


You may say to yourself, 


"It would still feel good; it still looks like it would be fun,"


but you refrain because you already know the chain reaction of misery that it sets off."




16 comments:

  1. I need a dose of
    " don't do that it's bad for you"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you know what your 'mantra' is for the week!

      Delete
  2. That is one refrain I gotta learn still,
    to refrain myself...
    :)~
    Have a good week!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the most important one I guess.
      Good week to you as well!!

      Delete
  3. I think we're all guilty of this, Jim! Temptation, temptation, temptation...damn, those neurotic habits! I do try hard, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Guilty as charged! But hey, at least we are aware of them.

      Delete
  4. I know, I know...
    GM,Jim. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Pat, August around here is always full of clouds!

      Delete
  6. Such good advice. I will never not refrain myself again. Oops... Obviously, I need more practice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very deep, but I got it! Unfortunately it rings so true for me: Don't eat so many sweets. I have spent too many times in the dentist chair while he drills away cavities. And still, I revel in each bite of a Krispy Kreme or a candy bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it rings true for most of us Liz! Refraining is a challenge for me too when it comes to 'treats'!!

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails