Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Let's Go Shopping


Here are my 'digs' every Monday till the end of October.
My little room is about 12' by 8'.
And believe you me, I have almost reached full capacity!!
As you will see....


Most of the framed photos are by a famed Nova Scotia photographer, W.R. Macaskill.
I have collected quite a few over the years.
Most of these are from the late 30's and 40's and are 'hand-tinted'.


Part of the jadeite collection I stored away for a 'rainy day'.


A few Nova Scotia hooked rugs, and shelves of Fire King/Pyrex/Banded Ring/Glassware.


'Paint-By-Numbers' were the rage back in the late 50's and early 60's.
They are becoming 'collector items' now.
I remember doing a few back in the day.


Jade (plant) with Jadeite ware.


Looking down the hall in this very old large house called MacDonald House.
It was privately owned for decades by the MacDonald family
who also had a hotel across the road and there was even a church on the property.
Most of the buildings burned down in the 50's except for this house.
The government of Nova Scotia owns it and it is on Provincial Park Lands now.


Another wall filled with more paintings/prints Fire King Sapphire ware and planters.


From the hall looking in....I have mixed a lot of white milkglass, white pyrex bowls,
 a couple of Rosenthal vases and Spode ware and Milkglass Hobnail with Amy's (the owner of the
women's vintage clothing shoppe next door and from whom I am leasing
my room).


Amy, I feel, has a very good eye for colour and she changes things around
all the time when she gets the inspiration, which is often!


She wanted a splash of WHITE for these shelves...so I went 'digging'!


There are two of the 'paint-by-number' paintings that I did in 1962.
They have resided at my parent's house up till a few years ago.

I am really enjoying this little venture I have taken on.
My main goal is to empty out our basement
and hopefully not have to bring anything back home.

I enjoy meeting all the people that come through this wonderful
old house. Most are tourists and are getting a meal at the Tea Room Cafe downstairs.

Hope you enjoyed this little tour of a little room stocked full of mid-century items.





33 comments:

  1. A lovely tour of your emporium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances. I am happy you enjoyed it. Drop by sometime......lol....if you are in the neighbourhood!!

      Delete
  2. Oh Jim this is paradise for the collector, oh man I wish i were rich, so many people will pass through these door and fall in love...don't be in a rush to sell it all for there are true treasures how wonderful. I'm a collector a heart, and I just go back and forth and ooohhs and aahhs and buy everything that \i want from your lovely store of course I'd have to be quite rich and that's not the case but at least I get to see it here and see it over and over and over again, how wonderful Jim!!! and you have so many collectors' item that are very much in demand right now jadeite all things vintage, and those awesome colourful dishware, oh man, you're in business...and you don't need luck, bravo, bravo, bravo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine.
      This way is a lot easier on your pocket book!!

      Delete
  3. Gosh, you have a great shop, Jim and some wonderful stuff.
    I know I would love to visit your shop and would be buying too. if only you were not so far away.
    Much luck to you ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margie! I think there would be something for just about anybody.....quite a mixture of things,

      Delete
  4. Wow, I'm impressed, Jim! What a spectacular collection. I bet you'd even forgotten about some of them until this shop got going, and rediscovering them must have been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Martha. And you are correct, I DID forget about a lot of what I had collected and was very surprised with some of of it. It was fun, and still is, opening up boxes and finding what's inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG OMG OMG OMG
    ITS A POOFS PARADISE
    I SOOOOOOOOO WANT AT LEAST 100 things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes John, but what about MY shoppe!!?? lol

      Delete
    2. The best bit
      I want those yellow cups and saucers

      Delete
    3. Too bad you are SO far away John! Imagine the state of them upon arrival!!

      Delete
    4. I like the yellow, too. A poof's paradise? Oh, John! You have a way with words.

      Delete
    5. Haven't seen any 'poofs' flocking around the shoppe yet!!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks PAt. It was fun collecting all this stuff and setting it up here too!

      Delete
  8. Those tin canisters with the yellow flowers on them? My Mom had the small one -- it was our "button can" when I was a kid. And I see you have some fine Blue Mountain Pottery there for sale as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those yellow canisters too Debra and would be using them at home if We had the space for them.
      BMP is very popular here in Canada for some. I went through 'a phase' collecting this a few years ago.

      Delete
  9. tell John. I WANT THE YELLOW AND ALL THE REST OF THE JADITE. Deep breath...calming down now...omg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Joanne! You know how these Welsh guys get!! lol
      I have a thing for Jadeite too! You should see our kitchen.......you wouldn't leave it!!
      Martha Stewart made this glassware very popular once she put it on her TV show. I got most of mine before it went through the roof!
      Breathing in.....breathing out......

      Delete
  10. Wow that's incredible. Despite how full the room is, it's incredibly organized! Can you organize my apartment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I think I may be pushing the limits of it all becoming a little disorganized.
      I love organizing things and am a good packer. I don't think you could afford my rates, Keith!! lol

      Delete
  11. And as long as your store is here on your blog, I visit everyday: ask myself, what would I buy today? I really love it, wise move Jim and Ron, you have quite the little gem going ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lorraine, 'window shopping' is the best kind!! Saves one a ton of money too!
      It was a wise move for us in the sense of organizing that basement of ours. Whether or not we sell it all....we will see.

      Delete
  12. I love all of your things! I've told you before I'm a big fan of vintage, clothes, home ware, music, everything! I was definitely born in the wrong era! I love how colourful everything is. I spot the vintage dress you shared with us not so long back, it looks right at home there surrounded by equally as beautiful things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh H.E., I think you were born in the perfect era! You are teaching your generation that it is OK to look back and admire the skills/work of past generations.
      Yes, that is the graduation dress of 1942 that Ron's mother wore. It really has found a new home.....for now.

      Delete
  13. I recognized a pyrex banded carafe in which I used to store children's formula. I have it somewhere in a cupboard - should get it out and show off those cheerful colors. Your shop is so vibrant, it was a feast for the eye to explore your photos, Jim. Good Luck on your venture - that would be a happy place to hang out. Isn't it fun to get it all out of storage and on display?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, you hit the nail right on the head! It was so much fun to get this all out of containers that held them there for a couple of decades. It was fun to set it up too. Now the trick is not to overdue it. I am trying my best to hold back now and maybe rearrange and remove some things.
      Jadeite is my favourite of it all....especially that heavy Jadeite coffee cup and saucer that I found really difficult to part with! But, it is just 'stuff' Jim....I kept telling myself.

      Delete
  14. Those hooked rugs are so pretty, and I love all the dishes. It's true that you're well organized. I love to organize. It doesn't matter what it is. I'll organize it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's charming. The colors are so cheerful. It would be fun to poke around in a shop like that.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails