Monday, July 14, 2014

Contemplative Monday


The following is taken from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes from Pema Chodron'.

JOINING HEAVEN AND EARTH


"Recently, in a friend's kitchen I saw on the wall a quotation from one of 
Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche's talks, which said:


"Hold the sadness and pain of samsara (the repeating cycle of birth, life and death)
 in your heart and at the same time
the power and vision of the Great Eastern Sun.
Then the warrior can make a proper cup of tea."


I was struck by it because when I read it I realized that I myself
 have some kind of preference for stillness. 


The notion of holding the sadness and pain of samsara in my heart rang true,
but I realized I didn't do that;


at least, I had a definite preference for the power and vision of the Great Eastern Sun.


My reference point was always to be awake and to live fully,
 to remember the Great Eastern Sun --- 
the quality of being continually awake.


But what about holding the sadness and pain of samsara in my heart at the same time?


The quotation really made an impression on me. It was completely true:


if you can live with the sadness of human life (what Rinpoche often called the tender heart
or genuine heart of sadness), if you can be willing to feel fully and acknowledge
continually your own sadness and the sadness of life, 


but at the same time not be drowned in it, because you also remember 
the vision and power of the Great Eastern Sun,


you experience balance and completeness, joining heaven and earth,
joining vision and practicality."

Exploring a Peony blossom.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lorette. The photos seem to 'fit' Pema's words so well.

      Delete
  2. The perfect photos to accompany this excellent quotation! The peony's yellow heart can be interpreted as representing the Great Eastern Sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good 'Pema quote', Debra, one I struggled with for years. Thank god for getting older and becoming more mature and accepting things as they are.
      The photos worked here.

      Delete
  3. Wow, outside the amazing macro of the soft golden peony's heart, everything you quoted is so true, but i have to learn, to accept the never-ending pain so thank you Jim for sharing this pearl of wisdom with magnificent photos, now I'll take a deep breath and go read it again...thank you dear Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the tough part Lorraine....learning to accept the 'sadness' about life. Getting to a good balance between happiness and sadness is the key and not denying either.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful words and beautiful images. Thanks for sharing this Jim. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hayley-Eszti. Yes, I think this weeks quote was a good one and one to most most can relate. Hope your week is a wonderful one!

      Delete
  5. Your peony shots are exquisite, Jim!! And the quote is lovely too. Our elastic hearts have the amazing capacity to hold all that life offers! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Elastic hearts'! I really like this analogy Louise. And aren't they too. I guess they have to be if we are to remain healthy and flexible and balanced in this crazy life! But a good life of course.

      Delete
  6. The photos are so beautiful. I wish you a blessed week.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, thanks. A wonderful week to you too.

      Delete
  7. For me, the trick is not to get overcome by the sadness. So I guess I need to concentrate more on the Great Eastern Sun to find balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Terry. Not many have that perfect balance between the two, I am sure. Knowing what one must 'work on' is half the battle.

      Delete
  8. Wow wow wow - glorious and stunning shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. Ever get so involved in photographing something that you had to tell yourself to stop?

      Delete
  9. This is so beautifully described, and your photos are a perfect complement. (But I still don't think I'll be able to make a proper cup of tea.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mitchell, I think you will surprise yourself.

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails