Monday, July 21, 2014

Contemplative Monday


The following quote is from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes from Pema Chodron'.

RITUALS CONNECT US TO RICHNESS


"Ritual is about joining vision with practicality, heaven and earth, samsara and nirvana.


When things are properly understood, one's whole life is like a ritual or a ceremony.


That is what's behind ritual, these formalized things that get carried down 
in the religions of different cultures.


Ritual, when it's heartfelt, is like a time capsule.


It's as if thousands of years ago somebody had a clear, unobstructed view of magic,
power, and sacredness, and realized as if he went out each morning
and greeted the sun in a stylized way,


perhaps by doing a special chant and making offerings and perhaps by bowing, 
that it connected him to that richness.


Therefore he taught his children to do that, and the children taught their children, and so on.


So thousands of years later, people are still doing it and connecting with exactly the same feeling.


All the rituals that get handed down are like that.


Someone can have an insight, 


and rather than its being lost, it can stay alive through ritual."


A 'wall bell' we have at home.




12 comments:

  1. The photos and the increasing light is such a beautiful parallel to the quotes and are indeed so beautiful, rituals...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have some 'ritual' in our lives, whether we know it or not, Lorraine. what do you think?

      Delete
  2. Love this quote with these amazing shots which tell such a story! Definitely something to contemplate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne. I personally like rituals. I was brought up with them at home and also the church we attended had a few there as well. I can see how these are passed on down through the generations.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Rituals are wonderful if used sparingly, I find. When ritual becomes the main focus of spirituality, the experience can become overly formulaic and drained of meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Debra. If done too often they can they become too rote and meaningless, as you said.

      Delete
  4. This set of photos is mesmerizing, Jim - at first I thought the light was a stream of water. They went perfectly with the thought of ritual. I'm thinking I don't have many rituals, but I do stop and consciously feel thankful for at least one good thing a day (sometimes many more). Often before sleep, I close my eyes and encourage a state of thankfulness by focusing my mind on people and events that have had a positive impact on me. Sometimes, I light candles in my home because they evoke a sense of calm that seems almost sacred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb. I took these a few weeks ago when one evening I noticed the setting sun streaming into the kitchen window and into the living room on to this bell, plant and moulding on the door frame and wall. It just gleamed and cast a very distinct light.
      I was brought up with a lot of ritual but only now on occasion do I practice or use ritual. It can be quite relaxing. Like I'm sure your night-time 'ritual' is for you.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. That light was something else that evening and i was happy that I managed to capture it.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful thought, Jim.
    I like the little everyday rituals. They comfort me.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails