Thursday, August 8, 2013

In Heather Heaven


The Heather  (click) is in full bloom at Point Pleasant Park in Halifax.


This Heather was imported and planted over 100 years ago
during a major restoration of the park.


The 'Heather patch' is around 3300 square meters now
and has been thriving in this same area since it was planted.


There are narrow paths weaving through this area in and around large clumps of the Heather.


So yesterday we 'three amigos' went meandering through
with our camera in tow.


It was a warm afternoon but the ocean breeze was blowing up the hill from the harbour.


It was perfect to spend a little time and attempt to capture the beauty of this plant.








13 comments:

  1. Lovely! I'm a fan of heather. I didn't realize until we moved back to Scotland and started gardening here how many hundreds of varieties there are in different colours, textures and blooming at different times of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Craig, we too have learned this fact in our garden. We learned about the heathers and the heaths.....so many!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to see a big expanse of heather! It has a scent as well, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear Scotland has a few!! It has a slight scent Debra, nothing over-powering at all. The visual is what is amazing.

      Delete
  3. There are so many great things to do and see where you live. I loved this post, heather is something I have not seen for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not that much different from most places Inger, but I can see that it is unique to some people.

      Delete
  4. This heather looks so beautiful! The next time I am in halifax, I am definitely planning to go to this park. Missed it when I was there before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jeanne, we could meet you there! And maybe have tea.

      Delete
  5. So beautiful! What a paradise you live in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a few great places to visit, Pat.

      Delete
  6. That is such a pretty plant. I really like how pretty it is, and so delicate looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely pictures of the heather. I see you found a butterfly there with a camera too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim- I love heather-- it looks beautiful as they have it planted in the park-- your photos are so lovely. You have so many wonderful and beautiful areas to stroll and photograph-- no shortage for photo opportunities for you guys:)
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails