Friday, August 16, 2013

Getting To Know Me


A couple of photos I found recently:


The above photo was taken in May 1955 
outside St. Joseph's Rectory in Halifax.

I remember this day so well. I felt so special.
It was a very important 'rite of passage'
in our church....First Communion.

I loved the fact that everything  from top to bottom 
had to be white and crisp! Yes, my shoes and socks
were white too.

Back in those days everyone had to fast from the night 
before if one was going to receive Holy Communion
the following morning.

And you know how hungry 7 year-olds get!
There must have been almost 100 hungry kids that morning.


Fast-forward three years......
this is me on a Saturday morning at my grandfather's office in downtown Halifax.
I am sure it was a 'make-work' program of sorts that my grandfather
thought up to show me a different  world. He was a private investigator 
having been retired from the police force.

So every Saturday morning I would hop on a bus
 and head downtown for three hours to do general
office work like stamping receipt books (TONS of them I remember!).

I absolutely loved this routine which lasted about a year or so.
My grandfather was rather eccentric (I didn't know that at the time)
and as I entered his office, which was also his home, 
I could hear this very loud opera music coming down the
stairs to greet me.

He would also make me a lunch during which time he would tell
me stories from his past or about what he felt about the 
'news off the day'.

I really enjoyed my visits to my grandfather's.





15 comments:

  1. Flowers in the workplace
    How civilised

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED this post!! I always love your "Getting to Know Me" posts, but this one was especially sweet.

    How interesting that your grandfather and my hubby had the same career path (police officer to private investigator). What a wonderful thing it is that you got to go "work" with him for that time. Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, what wonderful times with your granddad, is that an " Olivetti" typewriter? You do look the real office lad. Old photos, so precious to have years later. Greetings from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful memories Jim! Lucky you being able to enjoy some work experience with your Granddad - priceless memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely memories you have I love the story of your Grandad, he sounds like quite a character!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Grandfather must have been an interesting guy! You little cutie-patootie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Jim I love old family photos and the memories they evoke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Jim. I love these old photos. What a cute kid you were. It sounds like your grandfather was quite a character!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you ever considered joining Sepia Saturday, that meme about vintage pictures, anecdotes and history?!? You'd do fine there!!
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  10. GM, Jim! (it still is, here)You look so sweet for your first communion. I don't understand why you say your Grandfather was eccentric. I think he was enjoying life and wanted you to be a part of it. I tell my grandchildren stories about the 'old' days too, hoping they will remember part of it and carry my memories on. I guess, um... I am eccentric too. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How adorable! That pretty much sums it up Jim :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a little cutie Jim and what a beautiful memory to have of your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim, I'd say those two events in your life kept you honest and off the streets! :-)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3 hours of work and you got lunch?! I want to work for grandfather too.

    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great posts you've had recently, Jim! I always enjoy your old photos and the stories that go with them. Keep the "Getting to Know Me" posts coming ~ They are awesome! I found your one about growing up gay so poignant. I've had gay friends who actually grew up, married girls, then later divorced ~ very traumatic for everyone involved. I'm so glad that you found Ron and have been together all these years. It's not easy to continually feel different. I'm glad that times are changing for the better. It gives me hope for my nephews who are gay. :) Love your Saturday Morning posts too with a run through your week in photos. These posts are always fun. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails