Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Going Once, Going Twice, Gone.....


A few weeks ago I placed a bid at a 'silent auction'
and actually forgot all about it till I got a call
from the shop last Friday saying I was the highest bidder.


I liked the painting from the moment I saw it and asked if there was any information
about the artist and where it came from.


I was informed that it was done by a company in Ontario, Canada
which hires local unknown artists to reproduce originals for them.
It comes with a 'certificate of authenticity'.


This painting was from an 'estate'  and being auctioned off.


The frame was in need of a colour change and had a little damage on the bottom.
It is a large painting.....47 in. X 40 in.


It was a 'gun-metal gray' which I thought didn't work. 
So today I painted it a colour called 'Sea Haze'.


We are happy with the 'new addition' 
and are looking if there was an original to this and by whom.





21 comments:

  1. It's lovely! It looks a bit Group of Seven-ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can see that Debra because of the bold brush strokes and sense of abandon. I also thought of van Gogh and the 'tulip' works he did.

      Delete
  2. That is a really nice piece of art. I like the colour you chose for the frame; it fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw it Martha I thought it would be way above what I was willing to pay but it turned out that not that many people either saw it or were not interested.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I would love to be able to just sit/stand back and paint like this. Have you ever tried to paint Pat?

      Delete
  4. Oooh I like that. Good bidding on your part Jim!
    Good choice on the frame change of colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Craig. I wanted something that would not take away from the painting, something muted and not obvious.

      Delete
  5. A lovely painting and the color of the frame is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping the frame colour would work and after it dried I figured it did, Inger.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes John, it pops out and grabs your attention. It brightened up the room which needed it!

      Delete
  7. You should ask Stephen Hayes at The Chubby Chatterbox. He's an artist and very knowledgeable. http://thechubbychatterbox.blogspot.com/ I saw an ad recently for reproductions of famous painting. I would rather have the originals, but museums seem to be pretty selfish about keeping them. Not one single museum will give me a painting I want.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, thanks so much for this lead! I will check it out.
      I know! Museums always want to keep their treasures to themselves!! Go figure! lol
      Thanks again.

      Delete
  8. Really like your choice of paintings here, and also love your "sea haze" choice of frame colors. Very nice and lucky you for being the highest bidder! great addition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure adds colour to the room Jeanne which was the intent.
      Yes, I was a bit surprised I had the highest bid too.

      Delete
  9. very nice, don't you love wonderful surprises like that! Serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne. I was hoping but never thought much more about it.
      Hope your day is going well for you Jo.

      Delete
  10. Jim- that painting is gorgeous-- I can see why you love it so much. You were perfectly on track to paint the frame-- I love the new color:) it looks beautiful on your wall!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails