Monday, August 19, 2013

Contemplative Monday


The following quote is taken from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes From Pema Chodron.

THE JOURNEY DOWNWARD


"Spiritual awaking is frequently described as a journey to the top of a mountain.


In the process of discovering bodhichitta ( the awakened heart), the journey goes down, not up.


It's as if the mountain pointed toward the center of the earth instead of reaching into the sky.


Instead of transcending the suffering of all creatures,


we move toward the turbulence and doubt.


We explore the reality and unpredictability of insecurity and pain,


and we try not to push it away.


If it takes years, if it takes lifetimes, we let it be as it is.


At our own pace, without speed or aggression, we move down and down and down.


With us moves millions of others, our companions in awakening from fear.


At the bottom we discover water, the healing water of bodhichitta.


Right down there in the thick of things,


we discover the love that will not die."






11 comments:

  1. Wow Jim that's a it deep for my brain tonight. Will read it again tomorrow in the light of day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Davine! In a nutshell I think it is saying in order to find contentment and fulfillment in life we all must experience and see the 'dark side' as well and that fulfillment is found when we are right down there 'in the thick of things' of every day life. Something like that.

      Delete
  2. Very deep stuff this morning, Jim. Spiritual growth is something that is very interesting and appealing to me. Let's hope I've done some of that in this lifetime :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Martha, Pema does tend to smack us in the side of the head every now and then with her take on life.

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of an observation I once read that "God is found in the Abyss, not on the Mountain." Very true too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Monday, Jim! Beautiful images and words! I've learned lots more in the depths than on the heights! Great new header. By the way, I enjoyed your Saturday photos and Vivaldi. I love that Summer movement, and I have listened to it many, many times. It could be an aural definition of intensity! And I love intensity! I hope that your week has gotten off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise! The week has gotten off to a great start! Perfect weather, great company....what more could i ask for!?
      Same here....when I am 'down and weary, feeling sad', I tend to 'see' things more clearly. Being on the heights is like being stoned.....I would imagine.

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails