Friday, October 22, 2010

Great Little Shop





Found this shop the other day while in Halifax.


Nestled in the north end neighbourhood called  the Hydrostone, which is near where my family lived when I was between the ages of 7 and 16, there is a new shop.


This area has quite an interesting history. It is a very trendy area now in which to live and I would live there in a heartbeat if I had to choose an area.....luckily I don't.


Naturally, it has changed over the years. It used to be that this area was used by the neighbourhood only. Now, people come from all over the city. It is a very unique area for Halifax.


When I was a kid I think this shop was a 'dry-cleaner's'. Now it is an 'oil and vinegar' shop.


It just opened in September. So since we were there we popped in for a visit.


 We were greeted by the couple who owns the place and they briefly told us about the layout.




One side of the store is lined with 'kegs' of olive oil. The other side has 'kegs' of balsamic vinegars. So what one does is to go from one to the other and sample until you find 'the one' you like.




We did this and agreed on this one for oil :




And this one for vinegar.




If you haven't tried mixing the both together and dipping a good crusty bread into the mixture, you'll have to. The taste is surprisingly good......a little tangy and sweet of course from the vinegar mixed with the raw, musky taste of the extra virgin olive oil.




We've tried this in the past  using  'commercial' oils and vins but with this store in town we can get really fresh product when needed. And what a difference it makes.




Maybe there's one in your city or neighbourhood. Go take a look. Your life will never be the same!













15 comments:

  1. Nope, no shop like that around here, I didn't know that a shop like that existed! It would be nice to taste before you bought, I have had some pretty raunchy olive oil, and it is my preferred oil! Looks like a nice clean shop and very fancy despite their only items are a huge selection of vinegars and oils. Good quality stuff is hard to find, no wonder they are so popular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! What a great store to have found. The last time I was in Halifax, I went shopping in the Hydrostone area and enjoyed it very much. So charming! Then I went and visited the nearby monument to the Halifax Explosion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how lucky you are to have such a unique shop! There's nothing more wonderful than dipping bread in olive oil & vinegar and to be able to choose the PERFECT mixture would be heaven. Wonder if there's a shop like this in New Orleans (an hour from me). I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon , you would love it.
    Debra, that area with the monument was my childhood playground. Loved it there.
    Chris, yes check it out in new Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure in our area, there has to be a place like this--I'll have to check. If it involves bread, and dipping, I'm there!! :-))

    I hope you've had a good week Jim!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That shop has character. Good crusty bread with olive oil - there's no resisting that. Yum.
    I read the articles on the explosion. I knew about it in general, but had no idea of the devastation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fascinating post. A whole shop with just two products but in such variety!
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why is it that your posts as of late have been making me hungry, Jim? On this one I think it was the part about dipping the good crusty bread into the mixture of oil and vinegar. I've got to make it a point to NOT read your posts on an ampty stomach. This place does look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure the aroma's permeating from all that are enough to make me melt.
    Through in a bakery and a cheese shop and I'll never leave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jim
    have you been aprofessional photographer in your shady past?

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an interesting idea for a shoppe. I would love to open up something like that but it wouldn't fit into this area at.all. Sounds very interesting though and I'm going to see if they have something similar in the big city! Yum, crusty french bread dipping...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terry...I grew up with that history everywhere in my neighbourhood and parish.

    John....no shady past here! But thanks.

    Jojo.....you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very unique shop!! Definitely one to look for in our area...however, I'm not sure the barbeque and beer taste of most Oklahomans would support such a fine culinary establishment as this, LOL!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks jim for then ice comment on my immigrant post, i agree with you 100% but truthfully, i dont our governments would ever colaberaate unless it meant money for them each. sad but true.
    diane and love lil shops like this one you posted about. we are big fans of oil & vinegar and crispy breads, fresh garden tomatoes and garlic.. she makes a delightful english salad with pesto, fresh basil leaves from our garden, garlic, onions, tomatoes, oil and vinegar, salt n pepper. we make a meal out of it with good bread. sometimes she sprinkles feta cheese on hers... and/or fresh thinly sliced salami.

    now i'm hungry... :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what an ORIGINAL and very INTERESTING way to enjoy fine extra virgin olive oil and vinegar balsamico.....I JUST LOVE IT!!!!!!!

    BEAUTIFULLY photographed!!!!!!
    The IDEA to taste and choose it is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!

    I produce my own "extra vergine olio d'oliva", pure biologic ; so I do know the extremely high value; the beneficience of the "liquid gold"; as you describe it so beautifully!!!

    ciao ciao elvira

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails