Monday, May 27, 2013

Contemplative Monday

The following is taken from: 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes From Pema Chodron'

WE'RE IN THE SAME PLACE


"I try to practice what I preach; I'm not always that good at it, 
but I really do try.


The other night, I was getting hard-hearted, closed-minded,


and fundamentalist about somebody else, 
and I remembered this expression


that you can never hate somebody if you stand in their shoes.


I was angry at him because he was holding such a rigid view.


In that instant I was able to put myself in his shoes and I realized,


"I'm just as riled up, and self-righteous and closed-minded
about this as he is. We're in exactly the same place."


And I saw that the more I held on to my view, the more polarized


we would become, and the more we'd be just mirror images of
one another----


two people with closed minds and hard hearts who both think


they're right, screaming at each other. 

It changed me when I saw it from his side,


and I was able to see my own aggression and ridiculousness."



18 comments:

  1. A beautiful path, that leads us to think about ourselves, and our views. May they always be wide-angled, like our camera lens. Greetings to all, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you can so succinctly sum things up, Jean. Thanks so much for this. You are a very wise woman.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic food for thought today, Jim, and SO true. How often do we behave this way? I know I have moments like this. In order to truly have an open mind, we must accept that people have different points of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And come at those views from their own experiences and points of view. Yes, Martha, don't most of us behave in this fashion at first.....until it 'hits' us that maybe we could empathize a little with the other person.

      Delete
  3. Love it - thats all I can think of saying - Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Davine! How's the travelling going?
      This 'little ditty' can really come in handy when we are living in close quarters with someone or working with a number of individuals. Yes, I 'love it' too!

      Delete
  4. I have my beliefs, but I try very hard to be open and non-judgmental about other people's beliefs. It's getting easier as I get older.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a well observed view Jim. I don't always succeed in following it but I try to and your post will remind me to try harder. Lovely foggy shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The path is beautiful, what wonderful pictures you take, Jim. I have let go of my anger. I seldom get angry on a personal level, but still get angry about the lack of civil rights for all people, Obama haters, certain politicians' views, stupid wars, etc. But since I got old, I just don't have a need to get angry here in my little world. I never really thought about that before and this is one reason I love blogging. It opens your mind and you learn, both about yourself, others, and the world we all live in. Thank you for a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once in a while we get to "walk a mile" and find our views change.
    Beautiful path, Jim. Really nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jim, such a beautiful and heartfelt post! Lovely photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How truly wonderful to be able to step back and see the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walking down the misty lane in your photos I had to admit how the experience of righteousness is often a stumblingblock to understanding. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't try as hard or as often as I should to do this...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm guilty of only seeing my point of view too often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such good advice to look from anothers viewpoint, and so hard to do at times!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jim-- wow boyfriend-- that's deep-- and so true. If only we could always think things through before we make judgements. These photos are hauntingly beautiful:)

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails