Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Photography Is A Great Practice



I know there is a lot of 'talk' about 'staying in the present moment' 
and how important it is for us to do so as much as we can.


The benefits of doing so range from stress reduction 
to becoming more compassionate in our lives.


By living in the present moment and everything that may entail,
instead of constantly being 'in our heads' about either past events
or future ones, our lives can become more calm and rewarding.


So on Wednesday past as I was focusing on the road across the lake, 
a red car appeared in my view-finder. 


It was not a particularly 'yahoo' event with earth-shattering consequences,
but it was what was happening at that particular moment in time.


It was what was happening to me at that present moment 
while I was looking across the lake through my camera.


I was focused (as well as the camera) on something what some would feel mundane
and unimportant.....a red car driving down a road by a lake.


I was there to witness this 'event' and it was my moment at that present time.
Life offers these moments to us all. We just have to 'pause' and see them.


14 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Jim, with beautiful photos. You were there to witness a moment in this person's life. I wonder where s/he was coming from...and headed to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. It will remain a mystery.....that's what's so great about it.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I can see how photography would require mindfulness in the present moment to truly "see" what you're seeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a photography course many years ago at UBC and the teacher said that the course would focus on our 'minds eye'....not on how to use the camera. It was an eye-opening course for me!!

      Delete
  3. I agree-I can see how the bright red truck would strike an interest in the view

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Kathy. It gave a 'focus' to the shots and a time-line of sorts.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Pat, thank you. I loved your American Robin photo today.

      Delete
  5. It's easy for me to be in the present when things are fine. It's when things run amuck that my mind gets ahead of me. Thanks, Jim, for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the challenging time isn't it Terry. I guess it would take 'tons' of practice to to prevent the mind from fast-forwarding in high stress situations. But I feel we must also react when the circumstances warrant it....can't be perfectly calm all the time.

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is so true! Love the moment you captured with the red car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. The red car just happened to drive through the frame and I was glad it did.

      Delete
  7. I was waiting for Mr. Orangie to be thrown, in case you had forgotten!!

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soph, that was your present moment, not mine. lol

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails