Saturday, June 11, 2011

Retro Saturday

A few weeks ago while 'browsing' (I guess that's what one would call it) around Value Village I came across these two framed 'pictures'.





One is a photograph of a building in New York City....at least I think it is there. Loved the fact that it was B/W. And that it was in NYC was the clincher......it was about to be mine!




I could be totally wrong with this assumption. If anyone knows the name and exact location of this building please let me know.....and I will be forever in your debt!




P.S........later that day......... Sharon just emailed me a link to a great description and photos of this building called the Flatiron Building. Thanks Sharon. Stew sent one too and is here. Thanks Stew!


The other one is a painting by a fellow who lived in Halifax around the time Ron and I moved there from Wolfville, N.S. 




It was the mid 70's and the artist, Roger Hupman, was painting some of the Victorian houses around the city.  Halifax has many wooden homes and this is a typical one.



16 comments:

  1. Ah yes - this is that thin building in NYC that is always in films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great finds! Yes, that is the Flatiron Building in New York (originally named the Fuller Building but its resemblance to a flat iron endowed it with a new nickname). There's a Wikipedia entry for it, if you want to immerse yourself in Flatiron details, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Jim,how have you been? I love that building in the photograph it is so beautiful and unusual architecture. The paintings is also gorgeous and I would also love to hang those in my home! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's first one, you are correct, is in New York City. It is the Flat Iron Building. Very famous for it's cutting edge architecture for it's time. And still today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's some info on that building...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatiron_Building

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you guys would know!! Thanks Fiona, Debra and Stew!
    We have one of those, flat irons that is, here and use it as a door stop. Never made the connection though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have a huge mansion to hold all of this stuff. Are you royalty? m.
    p.s. I love the photos. m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would SO love to go shopping with you, Jim - you are a magnet for great things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim, is that a watercolor? I love the colors in it, and houses are always a favorite of mine! My husband loves black and white photos too, and used to take a lot of pictures and develop his own film--How's that for retro? :-))

    I hope you're doing well and having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think a field trip to Nova Scotia is in order for all of us who have commented so we can go shopping with you! All those neat stores that have little gems like these pictures are just begging to be explored by a serious junker like me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find the best stuff at VV but I think they are rather over-priced. Great photo...fascinating history. cool finds this week, and yeah, where do you put all of it??!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where do I put it all! Good question Jojo and all......well if there is room I will use or hang or display it. If not it gets wrapped up and 'sent to the basement'!! You do not wish to visit the basement. Actually the intention is to sell it all....soon! because there is no room in this very small house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My carpenter were just talking about Nova Scotia today: New Glasgow & Antigonish. Some of my favourite places, along with Halifax.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome finds! I love Value Village, and (oddly to some, I'm sure) it's one place I'm really looking forward to hitting when I go back home to Canada for a visit next month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Roger Hupman became a graphic designer for the CBC. He may still be doing this work in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the Ocean Breeze 27/200 by R. human /74

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails