Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Life Goes On......

    Oriental Poppy.

As some of you may remember, my family has been planning a birthday party for our father.




He will be 95 years old this coming Thursday. The party is planned for Sunday at my sister's house which is actually just 'down the street' from Dad's house.




Everything has been checked and double checked and each of us 'kids' has our assignment. Mine is to make a seafood chowder. I will do that on Saturday.




Another of my assignments was to contact 'heads of government' both locally and nationally. Since Dad is celebrating a milestone birthday, all the levels of government will recognize this if asked. So I did.




I have received  a certificate from the Mayor of Halifax, the Premier of Nova Scotia, the MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly) for Dad's riding, the Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia (the Queen's official representative for the province), the Prime Minister of Canada, and the Governor General of Canada (the Queen's official representative for the country).




The plan is to have Dad's great-grandchildren read each of the certificates at different times throughout the party. All the certificates have been placed into a scrapbook from which they will read. Fingers crossed that it will work out smoothly.




As life does have the habit of doing on occasion, Dad got an unexpected call from his brother-in -law yesterday.  Dad's sister, Eileen, has taken a turn for the worse. She has been living with Alzheimer's Disease for the past two years.




She is not expected to live much longer. Dad of course is very upset. She is the youngest in his family. His two younger brothers have died, so this leaves just Dad and Eileen.




What to do about the party should she die between now and then. We are taking one day at a time and will discuss this with Dad daily. I am of the mind to still have the party regardless of what happens.




Life is in a constant flux and as we grow older it is sometimes more difficult to plan things. Must learn to expect the unexpected I guess.









22 comments:

  1. I wish you luck with your Dad's party, Jim. It sounds like a lot of effort was put into making this an extra special day for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he thinks about all his family and his great-children reading to him, he'll want the party to happen.
    Hugs to your Dad on his 95th.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, best wishes to your dad on his milestone birthday. That is quite an accomplishment...95 years! And so sorry about his sister. Whatever happens, he will be greatly blessed to have his family around him celebrating his birthday. You will know what to do when the times comes. The party sounds like it is going to be very special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everything turns out ok Sounds like a beautiful man your Dad.Sea food chowder huh? I'll google the recipe sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it will be a lovely party-yes-whatever happens go ahead and celebrate and enjoy those special memories for years to come x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the party does go ahead. You don't turn 95 every day! When my Mom turned 85, she got a certificate signed by Stephen Harper. Her favourite prime minister (NOT). We had a good chuckle over it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful milestone for him and his family ...one day at a time, it will all work out the way it should ...
    these poppies are out of this world ... love that last one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The party will let him look foreward, to see all of his descendants come to honor him, and to see the future of his family stretching out before him. So, yes, have the party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Discuss with your dad if he feels his sister would like him to carry on with the party if she goes away. I'm sure she'd want him to be happy, but does your dad feel that way?

    It must be awful to outlive your family (brothers and sisters-wise), and since I'm the youngest, that's my fear as well.

    Give him a big kiss and hug for me and tell him happy birthday. 95! I can't imagine!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am sure that you and your family will make the best decision about the party--it sounds wonderful! indeed, LIFE goes on, and that that is the reason that we need to celebrate as often as possible!! i wonder what your dad's sister would prefer--cancelling the party or having it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart goes out to you. I have worked as a Social Worker in Long Term Care for a long time, and see the heartbreak of dementia. I pray your family and Dad get to have your big celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life does take it´s turns - I hope you can get it all together somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, blimey Jim. That is an awkward one. But I agree, the party should go ahead anyway. It sounds like you have a lovely event planned for him ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved your photos and hope your dad´s party will be great. Have a good day;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to all for the good advice. I spoke to Dad today and we came to the conclusion that the party will go on regardless of what may happen. He believes his sister would have wanted this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am going to pray for her right now. These flowers are gorgeous. Seriously GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! Well I hope that the party goes ahead, no matter what, life must be celebrated. I have just read your comment above, and yes I am sure his sister would wish that too. I am sending love to you all. Suzie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Suzie! Thanks!

    Becky, thank you. You can have these flowers I am sure in Philadelphia. Give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry your aunt is doing poorly.
    The certificates are so special. That was a really nice thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What gorgeous flower shots! So metaphorical as they symbolize life: we grow from seeds into lovely blooms and then wither away.

    Perhaps if Eileen dies the party can be a celebration of her life as well as your dad's?

    ReplyDelete
  21. that is awesome 95 years...I say celebrate....I'm sure she would want the same thing...

    ReplyDelete
  22. i will pray for your dad's sister. so very sad... and i think you should have the party regardless. she would want that for him, wouldnt she.. bless her little white cotton socks..

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails