Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Back At It


Tree on the side of Citadel Hill in Halifax.

I am back and finally 'set up', computer-wise, to get back to blogging.

My 'old' computer was getting tired me thinks....it just refused to
allow me to download any photos....even after putting
all photos on an external hard-drive.

Argyl Street....great little street in Halifax.

And what is blogging without photos!

The main highlight around here has been the weather......
up and down like a yo-yo.

Sun-lit bench in the park.

Last week was so cold here as it was in most of North America.
Yesterday it was +12C!
Today the  temperature has dropped from there to -5C .

Ron 'filming' Sophie at the park.

As you can see, I have interspersed photos throughout this post
from the past week.....not all relating to what is being said. 

I will get you up-to-date with the news from this part of our world.

The old Town Clock on Citadel Hill in Halifax.

Some sad news for my sister-in-law, Janet, as she and her family
are mourning the loss of her nephew Andrew.
He was a Lieutenant in the Canadian navy and serving 
near the Seychelles. He was found dead last week.
Andrew was returned home this afternoon to Halifax.
I never met him but have heard he had a wonderful sense of humour.

Winter Tibetan prayer flags.

To something more uplifting now........
Sophie got her first pair of boots!! 

Sophie 'on guard' and ready to catch Mr.Orangie (her ball).

Yes, boots!
It was so cold last week that the snow was freezing on her paws
 and she couldn't get very far.
The boots work like a charm and she just lifted each foot at a time
and no objections.

Sophie's new boots!

My new computer has a 'touch/swipe screen' which I am learning to appreciate.....
slowly! It will take a while to become efficient at this.

A 'bar' in the city.

My father is recovering from two 'spells' he had
in the past two weeks..... in which his blood pressure
falls very rapidly and he faints.
Luckily there was nurse very near both times....
so no bones broken.

Taken from atop Citadel Hill looking down towards the harbour.

Today on our hike/walk we got caught in a snow squall
on our way up the big hill at the end of the beach.
Half way up it began to blow..... and snow. It was
difficult to see through it.
Even Sophie wanted to head back to car which was quite 
a distance away. Half way back the snow stopped abruptly
but the wind picked up and the temperature began to fall.

Row of chimneys in the fortress on Citadel Hill.

So far, this winter has reminded me of the winters we had
when I was a kid. For the past ten years or so winters
in this area, at any rate, have been mild with little snow
and only very cold temperatures in mid-February.

The city 'Farmers Market sign.

This post is LONG! Can you tell I haven't posted in a while? lol

Not at all 'ideal' biking weather.

Happy New Year to everyone and I hope this year is full
of peace and goodwill for you all.

Very large bronze statue of sir Winston Churchill at the city library.

It is good to be back! Isn't that right, Sir Winston!








29 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed all of your shots. So did you get a new computer. I have definitely had some issues with mine and the 30000 plus photos I have on it. Great shots and like your processing on these too. Hope you are having a great week and good new year so far. Looks like you have had plenty of snow by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jeanne, lots of issues with my old computer and they all came to a head with the 1000's of photos that were stored on it. Now I will diligently try to download daily all photos to en external hard drive....I promise!! lol
      Hope your New Year is going well and that things have warmed up for you all.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you are back up and running.
    Speaking of running, I should run because I look like that statue of Winston Churchill! : )
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Good to see you Becky! You are no where near this statue of SWC! You are much warmer than this metal guy!!
      Happy New Year to you and yours too.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear you are back in the thick of things! Happy to see Sophie has boots! Enjoy testing out your new toy! Stay warm, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Sharon....stay warm and get used to this new toy!

      Delete
  4. Nice to have you back, Jim, and your beautiful photos! We've sure missed your presence. I love those Tibetan prayer flags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha! Good to be back with 'you guys'!
      Those flags are pretty pale now and have to be 'enhanced' a bit to even see them. In the spring it will be time to get a new set.

      Delete
  5. So you have a tablet now? How do you find it for typing? I have a traditional computer with a keyboard and I have an iPad. I'd take the traditional keyboard any day. I hate the hunt and peck method that the iPad forces on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra. Not a tablet but a notebook with touch capabilities......a little of both. I will stay traditional and slowly learn the new gadgets. But is this new one ever FAST! Like it a lot so far.....just learning new ways to 'get around'.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jim, welcome home!! Is the new PC a laptop or iPad? Touch screens, some like them a lot, others not so much. Huge snow up your way and almost everywhere else, Hope your dear Dad does well, those faintings are scary, so glad he fell softly, just like the snow. Greetings to all, specially those who brave the frosty elements to bring magical photos to us out here. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Hoome Sweet Home'! lol
      A new PC 'notebook' with both capabilities....reg keyboard and touch screen keyboard. I think I'll stick to the reg keyboard and use the touch screen but not it's keyboard....yet.
      Will see my father tomorrow with Sophie. She LOVES going there as he treats her to her favourite goodies!! FOOD!
      We are always prepared for those 'frosty elelments'.....layers of 'Ice Breaker' clothing does the trick for us!!

      Delete
  7. Going from +12 to -5 is quite a drop. I hope your weather stabilizes soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alain, Monday was like Victoria weather here!!
      Good to see you and hope Victoria is treating you well.

      Delete
  8. so good to see you back albeit rather random. Hey that's my name! Love the top pic, it looks like something from a horror movie. Glad you dad is doing better, that can be so scary especially if no one is around. So very sorry about your sister's nephew. Such a tragedy to lose a life so young and full of promise. Hope you get the warm up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne......Ms. Random herself!!
      We will be warming up in MAY!! lol

      Delete
  9. My grandfather once complained that I read too many comci books when I was a teenager. I now know he was correct because when I saw the statue of Winston the first thought that came to me was that he looked like the Thing from the Fantastic Four comic book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's a riot BB!! I think maybe your grandfather was correct!

      Delete
  10. Good to see you back in such perfect form. I love all the photos. The statue of Churchill is unusual and wonderful. So sorry about your sister-in-law's nephew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitch.
      Good to have a computer that works.
      I guess the artist responsible for SWC wanted to make him look larger than life like he really was......they say.

      Delete
  11. happy new year! didn't winston churchill spend time at a home in cape breton? i seem to remember that from when i spent time there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To you too jaz!
      I have no idea if he did spend time in Cape Breton. I will take your word for it though as tourista learn more about these things compared to the locals!!

      Delete
  12. You'll get the hang of this new technology, no problem.
    Why does Winston Churchill look like a bigfoot below the neck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will Stew but it takes time.
      LOL! Good question about Sir Winston. I guess the sculptor 'saw' him this way. It is quite imposing as you walk by. Too bad we didn't walk past him in June when you were .....he was just up the street from the grave yard down town.

      Delete
  13. Welcome back, Jim! What wonderful photos, with sharp city hues, muted and misty silvers around the clock, and rolling rainbow rivulets around that bench. Have to go, so you are spared more of my attempts to express the pleasures in this post :) Thank you so much to you and Ron (fun to see that handsome shot of him filming your beautiful Sophie) for the good wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol. Thanks for taking the time to drop by....I know you both are very pre-occupied lately. Good luck to Bill and all the best!!

      Delete
  14. What a great bunch of photos, Jim. Enjoy your new computer. hope your dad is doing okay now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I see where Jean got her inspiration for the purple boot poem! I had boots for my Golden, too - but they were ugly orange. Great photos, Jim - the tree is spectacular. I'm wondering what editing you used. It looks spectral.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS My friend was fainting due to plummeting blood pressure, too - they had her wear a heart monitor for 24 hours and then decided they needed to decrease her blood pressure meds.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails