Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Little About Me


Just not used to sharing certain  things about myself here
but am beginning to realize the benefits
to both you and me.

Monday while driving home from Halifax
I became aware of an odd but familiar feeling
I was experiencing between my shoulder blades.

When I got home, it got worse.
I told Ron.
He immediately went on 'Well MD".

These symptoms could be from a number of things:
indigestion, heartburn and heart attack.

I said it was a familiar feeling because I had had it once before.
Five years the exact location.
It was my first encounter with  angina.

I thought that this was very similar as I said
and I told Ron I had better get it checked.
Better to be safe than sorry.
And this wasn't as severe as the first time.

Ron drove her to daycare which is about 20 minutes away
and I sat in the passenger's seat wondering if I was
having another episode or not.

Sophie was MORE than pleased to be at 
Country Critter Sitters (google it)
as she ran into the house not looking back!

Off we went to the Dartmouth General Hospital 
about a 40 minute drive from the daycare.
My cardiologist is at this hospital.

Arrived at emergency department and we were 
third in line.
I was very uncomfortable by this point.
Ron read a sign saying that if you are having
any chest pain to tell triage nurse ASAP.

He did. I was in.

That was about 4 PM.
I was given a ECG right away
and it didn't show any signs of a heart attack occurring.

I eventually got a room in the ER
and blood work was done.
And needed to be repeated  3 times over the next 8 hours.

That meant that I was staying overnight.
They wanted to dig deeper and see it their was 
a cardio event that had taken place.

It was going to be a long night.
By around 10 PM the pain between my shoulders had
subsided somewhat.
I told Ron it was best that he went home to get some rest.
And that I would see him in the morning.

He did and I was happy that a least one of us would be
rested for the next day.

The ER cardio specialist said that the first blood test
after a heart event is almost always negative......
and it could be a false negative at that.
He said it takes up to eight hours for the blood to 
show a more accurate picture of what happened.

The second one was done just before Ron left
and the third to be done at 5:30 AM!

It was a LONG night. I did manage to get some rest but not very much.

I was told that I was to have a 'stress test' in the morning too.
That is where you are on a treadmill and they make it go faster gradually and more uphill
to test to see how the heart is coping.

Great I thought. Not much sleep to be gotten 
and me 'climbing mountains'!

 To make a very long story short......sorry......
Third blood test showed negative along with the other two.

Ron arrived with breakfast from home (hospital food just doesn't do it)
and a 'workout' outfit for the stress test.

I aced this test! Even better than the last one I had in 2010.

My cardiologist saw me after the 'workout' and she said
she was very pleased to say that it appeared not to be  related
to the heart. She said it could have been any of a couple of things.

Needless to say we were relieved to hear this.
She said I was in better shape than four years ago.
I told her it was mainly due to one thing....


She has gotten us out almost daily since we got her seven years ago.

So, you never know where your day is going to take you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails