Monday, March 30, 2015

Contemplative Monday


The following is from 'The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh' (click)
and published by 'Shambhala Pocket Classics'.

SEEDS (continued from last week)


"Sometimes we act without intention, but that is also action.
"Habit energy" is pushing us; it pushes us to do things without our being aware.
Sometimes we do something without knowing we're doing it.
Even when we don't want to do something, we still do it.


Sometimes we say, "I didn't want to do it, but it's stronger than me, it pushed me."
So that is a seed, a habit energy,
 that may have come from many generations in the past.


We have inherited a lot. 
With mindfulness, we can become aware of the habit energy
that has been passed down to us.
We might see that our parents or grandparents
 were also very weak in ways similar to us.


We can be aware without judgement 
that our negative habits come from these ancestral roots.
We can smile at our shortcomings, at our habit energy.


With awareness, we have a choice; we can act another way.
We can end the cycle of suffering right now."



6 comments:

  1. Burrrr! I think I see a touch of light brown in the grasses, so I'm assuming your photos are colored, Jim! And I know how raw a bleak winter day on this ocean is! Fascinating info from TNH ~ I had never heard of habit energy before.

    I actually liked habit energy when I had way too much to do. I could take care of repetitive things while my mind tackled responsibilities like planning for a meeting or solving a problem. Not a good way to live, but my heavy teaching workload forced me into it. Our western society is so out of whack! I risked a charge of insubordination by taking my kids out for an extra recess most days. But I thought we were almost abusing kids with our relentless schedule (3rd grade!!!!), and so out I took them. That was my one brief break in my day when I could only watch the kids on the playground from a wooden beam or from a swing! Yeah, I swung almost every day for a few minutes!

    I think Buddhism could teach our society a lot. Fortunately we are becoming more open to less western ideas. Happy Monday, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe 'habit energy' is not all 'bad'......only when it causes suffering does it cause problems. Some 'h e' can be good, I feel.

      Delete
  2. Jim - Very thought provoking post. As usual, love the photos! ~Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terri, so good to see you.
      Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. Is it really that cold?! It's 84 degrees here! Sometimes it really is a struggle to be aware.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails