Monday, March 24, 2014

Contemplative Monday


The following is from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes From Pema Chodron'.

PAYING ATTENTION TO ALL THE DETAILS


"With the commitment to not cause harm, we move away from reacting in ways 
that cause us to suffer, but we haven't yet arrived at a place that feels
entirely relaxed and free.


We first have to go through a growing-up process, a getting-used-to process.


That process, that transition, is one of becoming comfortable with exactly 
what we're feeling as we feel it.


The key practice to support us in this is mindfulness----being fully present right here,
right now.


Meditation is one form of mindfulness, but mindfulness is called many names:


attentiveness, nowness, and presence are just a few.


Essentially, mindfulness means wakefulness----fully present wakefulness.


Chogyam Trungpa called it paying attention to all the details of your life."


** Chogyam Trungpa was the man who brought Buddhism to Halifax from Colorado.

More about him here: Chogyam Trungpa (click his name)

11 comments:

  1. Hey Jim! Being seven hours earlier than you is helping me stay on top of your posts! LOL Well, at least this one anyway! This concept is a hard one for me, because I'm in my head so much. Your graffiti series has been awesome! I hope all is well for The Trinity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Louise! You ought to be out on that paddle board!! Loved the pics that Terry has taken of you in that wonderful warm water!!
      All is well here with The Trinity. thanks.

      Delete
  2. Starting the week with good food for thought is a wonderful, Jim. And the images you've included are fantastic. I love all the colours. As I get older, I am drawn more and more to Buddhism. I like its philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it's simplicity too Martha.....very 'black and white'.....however, compassionate as well.
      I started to 'listen' to what Buddhist philosophy has to say when this particular group settled in Halifax in the 80's. It opened up a whole new world that made much more sense and was easily (with hard work) accessible.

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful post. All wall paints are really great. thanks for sharing.

    Trees Planet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was fun photographing these 'wall paints'.

      Delete
  4. Good words ~ great presentation. I hope Ron is doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inger. Ron is doing very well and following doctor's (and my lol) orders.

      Delete
  5. Love this, Buddhism attracts me greatly. The images are great, giving the train passengers some art for their journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great mural - and lovely wise words too.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails