Monday, March 31, 2014

Contemplative Monday


The following is a passage from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes From Pema Chodron'.

NOTICE YOUR OPINIONS


"There is nobody on the planet, neither those whom we see as the oppressed


nor those whom we see as the oppressor, who doesn't have what it takes to wake up.


We all need support and encouragement to be aware of what we think, 
what we say, and what we do.


Notice your opinions. 


If you find yourself becoming aggressive about your opinions,
notice that.


If you find yourself being non-aggressive, notice that.


Cultivating a mind that does not grasp at right and wrong,
you will find a fresh state of being.


The ultimate cessation of suffering comes from that.


Finally, never give up on yourself.
Then you will never give up on others.


Wholeheartedly do what it takes to awaken your clear-seeing
intelligence,


but one day at a time, one moment at a time.


If we live that way, we will benefit this earth."

Lichen on bark.





10 comments:

  1. Your lichen photos are beautiful! At first I thought I was looking at satellite photos, and then about photo three, I realized it was lichen. I've never given up on myself yet, but as a teacher I asked so much of my students, that I couldn't give up on me. Sort of a flip on the words. Have a great week, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. Lichen can have, I am sure, its own little 'universe' going on there.
      Imagine if teachers gave up on themselves!! Poor students wouldn't learn much.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful images, Jim. Yup, they do look like satellite photos!

    And great food for thought. It's a fine balance trying to keep from being too aggressive or overly passive about your opinions. I think we're all guilty of losing that balance now and then; I know I am. But as long as we are aware of our reaction, and work on walking that fine line, it's a step forward.

    Have a great day and week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha.
      I guess taking a side, before hearing everything there is to be heard, can give us a warped perception of reality.
      This was a good lesson for me, as I tend to jump to conclusions right off the bat, not waiting for the whole story.

      Delete
  3. The Amish hold a similar thought on opinions -- most are not vocalized. Gosh, that's a hard thing to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Nancy. This is a very tricky thing to do......not taking any opinion. I guess it would be better to keep all options open, so to speak, until 'all sides' are heard and appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful words and great textures on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. I just couldn't pass this tree without stopping for a bit. You know how that is, right?

      Delete
  5. Neat photos. I find lichen so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Pat....a whole world unto itself.

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails