Monday, February 17, 2014

Contemplative Monday


The following quote is from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes From Pema Chodron'.

TAKING YOUR ARMOR OFF 



"Taking refuge in the Buddha means that we are willing to spend our life 


reconnecting with the quality of being continually awake.


Every time we feel like taking refuge in a habitual means of escape,


we take off more armor, undoing all the stuff  that covers over our wisdom


and our gentleness and our awake quality. We're not trying to be something we aren't;


rather, we're reconnecting with who we are.


So when we say, "I take refuge in the Buddha," that means I take refuge in the courage


and the potential of fearlessness, of removing all the armor
 that covers this awakeness of mine.


I am awake; I will spend my life taking this armor off. 
Nobody else can take it off because nobody else knows


where it's sewed up tight, where it's going to take a lot of work
to get that particular iron thread untied.


You have to do it alone."



17 comments:

  1. So true. Cheers, Jean. p.s. lovely photos, specially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! I guess things/life will become more clear when those layers begin to disappear.....just like in these photos.

      Delete
  2. I gots lots of armour -- this is going to take awhile! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do, Nancy? Me too! We better start peeling!! lol

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it seems that the older we get, the more armour we pile on!

    Good morning to you, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the key may be to notice these layers piling on when we are young......then we'll all be as 'light as a feather' when we are older.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Does that mean that we'll start to cry when we peel off those layers, Ron?

      Delete
  5. You are superimposing taking off armor with those snowy streets and cars zipping around. I want to go hide under the covers armor and all at the sight of that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works Louise! But I think you will find that a bit cumbersome eventually. lol

      Delete
  6. This one really made me think.
    Love the snowy street scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it did me, Pat. I hadn't realized how 'padded' I was becoming.
      That street scene was taken last month in Halifax as we were sitting in car with our coffee and tea.....watching the snow and traffic in front of us.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. We all need some armor some days Janie. I guess keeping an eye on how much we really need is the key to experiencing that 'lightness of being'.....letting the walls we put up crumble down.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Jim, you're so wonderfully wise.

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails