Thursday, July 11, 2013

'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet....'


There is a story behind this 'lone rose' I found in the front garden yesterday,
growing amongst the Periwinkle ground-cover.


About 15 years ago a friend of my mother's, Mary Redmond, called me and said I could help
myself to her roses in her backyard. She and her husband were about to move.
I arrived in a couple of days and saw these huge rose bushes that had overgrown 
and almost filled her backyard.


This was going to be chore but one I was up for because I loved the roses Mary would bring
to my parent's house....the scent of which would fill their living room.
So I began digging....and digging! I began to realize that these plants were there for a while
and had 'taken hold' and were not going to go easily!


Long story short....I managed to get a few pieces with enough root on them to be able
to take home and plant in a few areas.
And in a few years they began to grow....and spread....popping up everywhere.
I really loved them for their scent and tight form....they are beauties.
But it became apparent that they were becoming invasive.


What we had named our 'Mary Redmond' rose had become a problem,
so about 10 years ago we hauled them out as best we could.
But obviously not well enough!

But you know what? It was so great to see 'Mary Redmond' again....
brought back a few good memories that I had forgotten.
Thanks Mary.




28 comments:

  1. all these important memories fill our homes and lives..... when we are gone...so, unfortunately, are they

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough John but are refilled by others who in turn will also be forgotten. Just how it is. I think about now more rather than then.

      Delete
  2. the rose looks so sweet there too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blown away Kathy to see it!

      Delete
  3. It's always great to see an old friend. To sit and remember the troublesome years and laugh about it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when they smell so good, Stew!! lol

      Delete
  4. Like an old friend, this beautiful rose popped by to say hello. It sure is beautiful amidst all the greenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did and brought back a flood of memories, Martha.

      Delete
  5. Lovely! We have a rose bush that sends suckers out all over the place too, popping up in the most unexpected places. I never thought of roses as invasive before until I saw how tenacious this rose bush is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep your eye on that one Debra and keep it 'contained' as best you can. Yes, I guess some roses have that gene to invade!!

      Delete
  6. Roses running amok! How I would love that here in dry, hot Colorado! Hope that you are having a good day, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a great day Louise! Thanks. I just saw on a blog photo of wild flowers in Colorado....beautiful! Go wild is the answer!!

      Delete
  7. That really is gorgeous. WOW! Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky. Have had second thoughts about getting rid of it now because it is a beauty.
      Good to see you.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. A very unique rose.

      Delete
  9. How nice to have a memory pop out at you! It's very pretty!
    A little reminder of old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised Sharon. i had forgotten all about the rose.

      Delete
  10. Your last photo, stunning, the pink against the dark green, so lovely. Great to know the memory of a true friend comes to life again. Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny hppw these things happen Jean. thanks for stopping by....always like to hear from you.

      Delete
  11. What a sweet reminder and I think I can smell that rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can Inger!! Nice eh?

      Delete
  12. Mary looks great there among the periwinkle. Unexpected gifts are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Barb. It must be really tough because that periwinkle is like a tight web.

      Delete
  13. i just love those little sweet surprises that remind us of times passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Joanne! Just never know what is ahead....and I like not knowing.

      Delete
  14. That rose will not give up. It's a beauty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Pat and that is OK by me.

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails