Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Go Fish! Codfish



When we were in Newfoundland in the summer 2005, I saw this piece of pottery.


It has multiple glazes, and I really like how the artist 'fired ' the different colours.


The 'subject' is a Codfish.


A moratorium has been on this species for some time now in the Atlantic region.


And it is soon to be, if not already has been, lifted somewhat.


This will be great news for all the fishers in this region. So many lost their livelihood when the Cod stock was depleted due to over-fishing for hundreds of years.


Cod was a 'staple' in our diet and has been difficult to find.


The good news of its 'recovery' is a signal that it will eventually become more plentiful.


What's makes Codfish so prized around here?


Well as far as we are concerned it has a taste and texture that can accommodate several different sauces 


or can be eaten just plain...fried, baked or poached.


Our preferred method of cooking Cod is to poach it.


When we lived in Vancouver, British Columbia we ate Cod probably 3-4 times a week.


On the west coast they had a few varieties that we can't get here.


Oh yes, I almost forgot! A delicacy in Newfoundland is 'cod tongues and cheeks'. I have had them and they aren't too bad at all!


For all you brave folks out there who want to see how this is done, check out the video below. 
Not for the faint of heart!! Enjoy Chris ( from Grow Fish Eat).








21 comments:

  1. Yum! :-(

    Good that just about all the edible parts of the fish are eaten though. Not the sort of knife work you'd want to try on a rolling vessel, that's for sure lol.

    I don't eat Cod myself, despite the 'supposed' increase in stocks of this species. Nowadays if I don't catch it myself I don't eat it at all and Cod only really comes inshore within casting distance of the beach during the winter, brrrr! (I'm a fair weather fisherman lol).

    If you're finding it difficult to get decent Cod still Jim, try some Pollack. The flesh is not as white as Cod, which puts some folk off, and not as flakey but is very good eating.

    Thanks for thinking of me. I really like the Cod-piece, ahem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem! lol
      Pollack was THE fish to catch when I was a kid along with the 'running' Mackerel,one of my favourites! I do appreciate that you only eat what you catch. I had a similar discussion with my barber.....he will only eat fish that was caught that day and he told me a a guy who does just that. I do plan to go see him. The fish one gets in a supermarket is 3 days old by the time you buy it!

      Delete
  2. It sure beats the Cap'n Crunch I'm trying to gag down right now.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK captain! You would eat Cod tongues, Mark? I'm impressed!

      Delete
  3. I judge every restaurant on it's fish 'n chips. And don't be bringing me any of that Tilapia. Cod is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not pottery cod though.

      Delete
    2. Cod yes! I agree! lol

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely piece of pottery. Glad that the cod is starting to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was just one piece of a varied selection but all fired similarly.

      Delete
  5. Not much of a fish eater but I love the colors of that piece of pottery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, the colours were what attracted me initially.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful fish. Interestingly, considering our being on the same wavelength, my husband fried some cod for dinner last week. It was the first time in ages that I had some due to the ban on fishing it. Cod was a staple in my diet, growing up in Sweden. And of course, the lutfisk, the dried cod soaked in lye, we always had for Christmas. Thanks for this great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you Inger, we have been living in a parallel universe lately! lol
      Can't beat a meal of cod, I'd say!

      Delete
  7. Cod is popular over here, but fairly expensive. These days, due to overfishing, you should only buy cod that is marine-certified, apparently. Or as one TV presenter put it - eating fish is like eating tiger, it's that endangered. Salmon is very cheap in Sweden, but in the UK, where I come from, it's very expensive...

    Lovely fish sculpture by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very expensive here too. And salmon is way cheaper but is mostly 'farmed' here now.

      Delete
  8. Attractive pottery. We have one of the best fish n' chips shops and fish mongers in our village across the whole county !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky are you Penny! That would be so good to have at your disposal.

      Delete
  9. Cod cheeks kinda look like scallops don't they or is it just me? We eat a lot of cod here but I'm a flounder lover at heart. Unfortunately we have to get it frozen so I'll use it in chowders and such but its a great fish. btw, that cod artwork is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do Jen! But they don't taste as 'rich' as scallops.
    Flounder are flat fish like halibut, right? Never ate flounder, but caught plenty as a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim- I love cod fish- it's one of my favorites too-- when I can find it!! It is still rare here. I am admitting that I'm not going near that video---- no way!!

    Xo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good decision Vicki! It is rather 'messy'.

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails