Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Green Canoe




Maybe those sweets above will 'draw you in' for a moment or two!


It was Mother's Day and we were heading to our new favourite cafe for lunch.


This cafe has been open for a few weeks now and it is only 15 minutes from home!


Not only that but it is owned and operated by my sister's 'in law' and friend Susan.


We had heard through Paula, my sister, that Susan was opening up a cafe in Porter's Lake.
And you may have seen already that it is called The Green Canoe Cafe, after Susan's daughter, Sarah, who paddled competitively and nationally and her canoe just so happened to be green.


It being our third time there I wanted to try something 'new'.


I already had the BEST fish cakes and beans around these parts, so I decided on the 'Turkey/Green Apple Panini'.


Ron likes the fishcakes and beans so much he ordered them again.


The cafe is small and cozy and filled with the aromas of all the freshly baked foods that Susan makes daily.


 My panini came along with a bowl of 'squash/carrot/apple' soup....both were to DIE FOR!


Every lunch selection comes with Susan's freshly baked brown bread....which Ron thought tasted exactly like his mom's.


Maybe you can tell that we really like this place and what Susan prepares here.


And since we do eat out two to three times a week, it is so good to know that there is a place near us now and we don't have to go to Halifax every time.


I know you saw those two desserts above and really didn't hear a word I was saying, that's OK, I understand. Those wonderful looking 'things' in the first photo are 'Strawberry Rhubarb Busters'! We did find the 'room' for those after our meal.
The second dessert we took home with us....a Bread Pudding which was delicious too.


Susan not only bakes and cooks like nobody's business, she also sews....like these cushions (we have one my sister gave us) and lady's hand bags. I think there is nothing this gal can't do! We really hope that Susan's new venture is successful.


I'd like you all to meet Susan (right) and her mother, Mary, who was giving Susan a hand for the day, which just happened to be Mother's Day. How good was that!





21 comments:

  1. Yummo - makes me want to come over there just for the food alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do John, don't forget to 'drop by'!! lol

      Delete
  2. I totally should have read this post AFTER breakfast.
    Looks great!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'll teach you for getting up so early! It's like you have so much to do!! lol

      Delete
  3. Yes, those sweets above did draw me in, and then you tortured me with all those other goodies! That looks like such a wonderful place, and the food looks delicious. If I ever find myself in that area, I will make sure to visit this cafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course if you are you WILL drop by here! Right, Martha!?

      Delete
  4. Everything looks SO delicious! Good luck to Susan and her Green Canoe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there would be something you could eat there, Debra!

      Delete
  5. It looks like a fabulous place. I love the name and everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the growing phase now and we hope it will be around for a while.

      Delete
  6. you definitely pulled me in with that first photo! I had to see what that was?!! I'm thinking some sort of upside down dessert? What a fun looking place. Anyone who tries with such enthusiasm has my vote!! Now, tell me..what is that first dessert? I haven't had upside down cake in years....so guess what I'll be baking next?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, I'll find out what that first dessert was. It is an upside down something or other......

      Delete
  7. Susan (and her mother) look like sweethearts and the food looks so good my mouth is watering. The space looks charming and inviting, too. If I lived nearby, I'd be there every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan has a following at the 'market' in town and I am sure they will find there way to the cafe.

      Delete
  8. LOVE! the hand made sign and the menu on a chalk board. Tells me that there is always something new to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great. Now I "need" something to eat, lol!
    That soup sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Only if you say PLEASE!!!! lol

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails