Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday's Fronds


A 'frond' refers to the leaves of a fern and some 'palm' species.


I absolutely love this time of year in the garden.


and ferns I feel are at their best when just developing and 'finding their way'.


Some people love to eat ferns just as they are popping up out of the ground in spring!


They are curled up and look somewhat like a 'g-clef'.


Around here we call that stage of the fern's development the 'fiddlehead' stage.


Here in the Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island) they are considered a delicacy.


I tried them a few times and let's just say I prefer ferns at the stage you see here in these photos!


They are at their best....colourful, tender and full of vitality!


But weren't we all, at that stage?!




18 comments:

  1. Those ferns are gorgeous. This semi-warm and wet weather is doing wonders for my grass. I love it! By Summer, it will be all brown.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning!

    I love the ferns myself, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look like they (in general) have been around since the dinosaurs......and probably have!

      Delete
  3. They are great plants. I have two in my garden and they add a beautiful touch to it. But I didn't know you can eat them. That's very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But only when they are VERY young! Better check on the variety that is edible Martha.

      Delete
  4. The colors in your pictures are always just totally amazing!! You really inspire my Mum to do better :)

    Have a fun weekend,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoopy, tell your Mom thanks! She knows how to get great pics of you for sure!

      Delete
  5. I like what Debra said too.
    I really love tthis series of photos. The light on the ferns is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry. It was a moment that couldn't be ignored, if you know what I mean. The scene was very warm and inviting. And with a 'tweak' in Picasa, presto!

      Delete
  6. Such delicate and utterly beautiful young fronds. Fabulous shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona! They really were beautiful and as you know couldn't be ignored!!!

      Delete
  7. Jim- I love fern fronds-- they have a special attraction for me.. Love the spring green colors- love finding them in the woods, love your beautiful photos!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! There is something very special about ferns in general I feel. They are so unique and have a timeless quality about them.

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails