Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Roller Coaster Ride


I got a call from my father at 2 A.M. Monday morning. He said he was in pain and not feeling well at all. I told him I'd be right there.

We live about a 15 minute drive from each other. The roads were vacant that time of night. I turned on CBC radio hoping for music to keep me relaxed.



I got to his house and unlocked the door to find him slumped in his chair and moaning in pain. I approached him and couldn't understand what he was saying. I called 911. They arrived in under 10 minutes.

He was very sick and vomiting. They took his BP and it was very low. An IV was set up and they almost literally squeezed the fluid into him. They suspected he was dehydrated and he started to  respond more appropriately.

After he was stabilized they took him to the hospital in Dartmouth and I followed the ambulance. It was around 2:45 when we got there. It too was very quiet and he got immediate attention from the staff.



I stayed with him till about 11 A.M. My brother and sister arrived earlier and told me to go home. But before I did I wanted to hear what the tests showed. The doctor told us it was pancreatitus, his pancreas was inflammed and causing severe pain.

His 'numbers' from the tests were in the critical zone and we were told to expect the worse. Everyone in the family was called and my brother and sister from Alberta we here within 18 hours.

Dad's first day was very painful for him and for us to watch. This had come 'out of the blue' and just wasn't on anyone's game plan.....particularly Dad's.



Tuesday was a good day for him. He was feeling better and the inflammation had lessened. And his sense of humour had shown signs of returning. 

Yesterday was not a good day and he felt badly all day again. But he started to take in liquids and showed some signs of getting a little stronger. But it has taken a lot out of him.

All these photos were taken last week in heavy fog at the river......they have been 'tweaked' to make Sophie visible.

This morning he has more tests which will hopefully tell us more.

This has been quite a ride for the family but we have all pulled together and shared the 'vigil' of being with him throughout.


At being almost 95 years old we were told that it was amazing that he even survived this. People much younger don't.

So that's what I've been up to and I thank my lucky stars that I have brothers and sisters here to help. I can't imagine doing this solo.

Will keep you posted over the next few days. I do feel optimistic due to his determination and otherwise general good health.





29 comments:

  1. You are very blessed to have Ron and your siblings around you. Take comfort in them being there. And it sounds as if your Dad's a fighter.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep you all in my thoughts

    you are fortunate to have such a great relationship with your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear your Dad is not well Jim. Thinking of all of you and all the best...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are blessed with a wonderful family.I hope your dad gets well very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, didn't know your Dad's illness was so serious -- pancreatitis is no small matter. Sending best wishes that he will get well again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jim, my hope is that your father does not suffer much, no matter what happens with his condition. i am sure that it is comforting to him to know that you are so close and that he was able to call you. so many elderly people have no one. families that act like families are wonderful--and yours sounds wonderful. take care of yourself as well during this challenging time. all the best-tony

    ReplyDelete
  7. Un bacione from me to your Daddy and all the very, very best wishes for a quick recovery, Jim!!!!!

    How wonderful for your daddy to have all his children close!!!!!!!!

    ciao ciao elvira

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jim my prayers and thoughts are with you and Ron and your Dad. My goodness how scary!
    Yes, having family is a blessing.
    Oh, please let 'Sophie' know that for some reason my computer will not load 'her' blog which is why I haven't been there. Ugh!
    Hugs to you and everyone.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sending you and your family lots of tender positive healing thoughts. Your father sounds like a very strong character!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awwww jimbo, sending big hugs your way... i am sure god has sent his angels to surround him and heal him.. whatever happens, he is surely not alone between all of you and the angels. bless his lil heart, i am fond of him just by how you have spoken of him here. 95 is an incredable age to make it to... and he does sound like a fighter. godspeed, pops... xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your Dad recovers fully. Bless his heart to be in so much pain, that has to be hard at any age but at 95,whew.

    Its good your Dad has all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending lots of love to you all & I hope things improve quickly...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending you and family good wishes and blessings!

    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 95? Wow! We are all praying for him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You and your family will be in my thoughts, Jim.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Jim. . ..Thanks for sharing your hard times with us. . your poor Dad. .. I'm not a fan of pain so I feel with you all. How fortunate you all are to be there. . your Dad is blessed and that spreads to all of you.
    I believe that praying for someone is surrounding them with love. . .and love knows no mileage, no distance. Just want to tell you that during these holy days before Easter I am praying / surrounding you all with love. That is the energy which ties us all together.
    Peace and joy.
    ~~ justin

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm praying for your dad and your family, Jim. I can remember these times with my own parents - and it is not an easy time. You have shared so much with us in the past (about your dad), I feel as if I know him. 95 is getting up there... but I just fit a lady 104 with new hearing aids about a year ago and she's still up and running - so I'd say with your dad's determination and strong will, he has a possible decade yet to share his wisdom and sense of humor. Thanks for keeping us posted... will continue to pray!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have your family in our thoughts and prayers.

    )))HUGS(((
    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  19. those middle of the night calls are never good. went through that with my mom, then my dad...
    lucky for you not to be an only child in these instances. i am... good luck to you all, whatever the outcome. but indeed, for a fellow of 95, to pull through this... man, what is he made of? steel?!?... they sure don't make them like that anymore...

    U R all in my thoughts!!

    BIGHUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  20. I pray your Dad will recover soon and feel strong again. Its never easy to go through this, Jim. I'm glad you have family to help both him and you.

    be well, be happy
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so happy that he has survived this far, my mother had pancreatitis and the outcome was not good. He has a long road ahead but with the support of your loving family it will be made easier. You are all so blessed to have each other to count on...will keep good thoughts and prayers for you all. take care..;j

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you everybody for the good thoughts and prayers....much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Best wishes for your dad, he sounds like a tough old fella and that'll count in his favour. I've had pancreatitis and it is a very painful illness!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Prayers that your father will recover and be back to his old self soon. Its tough for everyone, so stressful to see an ailing parent. Get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jim, just as I said on Sophie's blog, I'll say to you as well, I will keep you and your family in my prayers and hope that your Father's health is restored. Please let us know how it's going when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Take care of yourself during this trying time. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Maties: keep the chins up and take care of yourselves. DAD is a scrapper, and guys like him are one-in-a-million!!!!

    Dutch Valley

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm thinking of you Jim, and I hope your father feels much better very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails