Saturday, April 23, 2011

Retro Saturday


Since it's Easter weekend and my family has been totally preoccupied with our father's health, I wanted to post something that is both 'retro' and relating to Dad.




A couple of weeks ago Dad and I were going through some photo albums he has and we came across this 'picture postcard' booklet.




Dad served in WW2. He was a Staff Sergeant in the Canadian Army. He was stationed in and around London, England for about four years during the war.




He would send 'things' all the time to my mother from the UK. It is not surprising, since they were and are very devout Roman Catholics, that he sent to her these pictures of the 'main' Catholic church in the UK, Westminster Cathedral.




This is even more appropriate, when I come to think about it, as this weekend is one of Christianity's most celebrated occasions.




And speaking of Dad.......he continues to be 'on the mend'. Considering his age, it will take some time for him to feel like he did before this whole thing started last Monday. But as of yesterday evening, his progress is positive and we look forward to his return home.











8 comments:

  1. Those are the kewlest! And for them to have some personal history makes them all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful church. Very,very happy to hear your Dad is feeling better,he has had a long and interesting life,imagine to be able to say you have served in WW2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice way to honor your father and Easter. I'm so glad he's improving. My Dad was a Sergeant in WW2 also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I hear "Westminster Cathedral," I immediately think of that old 60s pop song! Glad to hear your Dad's on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find photos like these on my treasure searches but they have no meaning except for the objects that they are. Those photos are special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your dad is continuing to improve - lovely old photographs and keepsakes-my hubby would love to sit and chat with your dad- I bet he has lots of interesting tales to tell especially about being stationed over here during the war,have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim,
    it's not been a week yet and he's already on the mend. i defy you or anyone our age to do as well. since you mean to keep him around, be grateful your wish is granted.

    as for the roman catholic thing, i was a bit surprised. though, i think you presented something neat for this weekend, i didn't know your family was RC. my dad is francophone but a protestant, you're anglo and a catholic... c'est le monde a l'envers!! (the world is upside down).
    :D~
    maybe my mom married the wrong guy as it could have been more peaceful at home, except me being an atheist and they, joining forces [for once], to get on my case...
    OY!!!

    to conclude, i sure would love to venture into that basement of yours...........
    ;)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is a beautiful church.... i am sure those post cards are very special to your family!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails