Saturday, April 30, 2011

Retro Saturday


Keeping in the spirit of the last few days (months) of 'all things British', and the fact that a lot of Canadians can trace their ancestry back to the United Kingdom, todays post is brought to you by two British artists.




The first is F.Robson. As can be seen in this brief biography, he was a working artist in the early days of the last century and is more noted for his prints than his original works which are mostly family owned and many haven't been found.




I got this print at an auction about 15 years ago. I liked it because it was a 'pen and ink' drawing. The building looks like, to me anyway, a mill of some sort. I liked it when I saw it and it hangs along with the next one I also got at auction.




It is also a 'pen and ink' drawing and titled 'King Charles Tower----Chester'. I looked it up and here is a little background to this location.




It was done by William McAllister Turner who as a painter and an etcher. This is an etching and is signed. Again I liked the subject matter and the medium used. It was difficult to find any biographical information on this artist other than he was born in 1901 and died in 1976.




There is something very simple about 'pen and ink' and 'etchings' that I like.......they are uncluttered and quietly representative of the subject matter. I could have a wall  or a long hallway full of these.



24 comments:

  1. I believe Robson also did some postcards. I believe I have a few in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them both! With that type of medium, an artist's true talent is exposed.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this style too and these are lovely examples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...then it's time for more I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, nice pictures. Funny, I would have put the one of the tower down as older than that. Perhaps it is because someone is wearing period costume in it. I love pen and ink drawings too. Good choice for retro Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pen and ink drawings. That was the medium I always enjoyed using. I miss doing that...guess I will have to get some supplies and start again! Thanks for the lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like pen and ink drawings. I wish I had more of them here. I enjoyed being back to see your Saturday retro stuff again.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pen and Ink drawings are always lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoy this style and am just lovin' the first one. It always fascinates me as to what they were thinking while sketching don't you? Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are beautiful.
    it is a medium i enjoy very much.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both those artists have some wonderful etchings. There's something marvellous about those slightly sepia tints that they have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such talent....Imagine being able to draw like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I won't scold you for buying Art.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ian Shaw

    The first print is not a mill but of Whitehouse Close in Edinburgh's Old Town. It would have been residential accommodation.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  15. William McAllister Turner was my great-uncle. The tower in your etching is part of the walls of the City of Chester and was in fact his studio for many years. I have the same etching among my collection of his works hanging on our wall.
    Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops just checked his paperwork/visitor book and realised that his studio was in the Watertower not King Charles' tower, but it was still on the city walls. Quite a few of the visitors who signed his studio visitor book were from 'across the pond' and i guess one of them bought your etching and took it home with them as a momento of their visit to Chester.
    Regards John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much fro taking the time and 'filling in those blanks' for me!

      Delete
  17. Someone in my family must have done the same as I have God's Providence House -Chester- by W McAllister Turner. It is so similar to the piece you have featured here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. William McAllister Turner was my great-great uncle. Lovely to see his work appreciated here. He also has some of his work in the UK's national collection.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you're interested in a matched set of the "King Charles Tower", another one has just appeared on the Goodwill online auction site, www.shopgoodwill.com , irem # 12603051.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails