Monday, April 14, 2014

Contemplative Monday


***I thought these different photos would be indicative of how thoughts
are constantly coming and going in our heads.

The following is from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes From Pema Chodron'.

WHERE DO THOUGHTS COME FROM


"When the thoughts arise it may occur to you to wonder where they come from.


Where do they come from? It seems as if they come from nowhere.


You're just faithfully following your breath....and Wham!....you're in Hawaii surfing.


Where did it come from? And where does it go? Big drama, big drama's happening,
big, big, drama.


And it's 9:30 in the morning. 'Oooh. Wow! This is extremely heavy.'


A car horn honks, and suddenly you're not in that drama anymore,
 you're in another drama.


I was once instructed to meditate on thoughts.
 I investigated the nature of thought for two whole months.


I can tell you firsthand  that you can never find a thought.


There is nothing there of substance, but with our mind 
we make it an Extremely Big Deal."




14 comments:

  1. Oh so true. And I wish that knowledge would enable us to stop enabling those "big deals."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice, practice, practice, Mitchell.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Jim. And the photos you used to accompany it are fantastic. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday to you too, Martha!
      I liked this 'lesson' as well....one most can relate to.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this I needed to be straightened out again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Amazing what the 'cone of shame' can do for a photo, Pat! lol

      Delete
  5. She pondered on the nature of thoughts for TWO WHOLE MONTHS?!?!?
    I'd love to have this much free time.......................................................
    I love those tiny flowers, Ron and Sophie, and Sophie.
    My question is:
    Where do thoughts go once you thought of them and want to act on them later,
    but forgot what you meant to remember and can't, even if your life depended on it?!?
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you making An Extremely Bid Deal about this Bruno? lol That 'free time' wouldn't be that free considering the topic, me thinks.

      Good question! What was it again?.......

      Delete
  6. One thing I have learned in my life is that you cannot make a thought a big deal. Much less an Extremely Big Deal. Thoughts of sorrow invade my brain often, usually from thinking of a dead dog or cat or some animal suffering. And what I do is put a smile on my face. Just that. The thoughts drift away and I feel OK again. I have come to believe that if people would smile more often, this would be a much better world. I know you can't tell that to most people. Most likely they would think I lost my marbles, but it works. I have no idea where I read it would, but years ago, I read this somewhere and my Swedish temperament has been somewhat Mediterranean ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also thank you so much for all your wonderful comments on my A to Z. You have really followed my Good Things. I was really worried I wouldn't be able to do it this year, but I am more than half-way there. Nice comments like yours help. This will probably be the last time I do it. I miss documenting spring here. Spring usually comes in May, but it's here now, early this year. Say hello to Ron and Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea to put a smile on your face. I have tried this when I am feeling WAY too serious over nothing....and it does make a huge difference. Thanks for this reinforcement Inger!
      I am glad you are doing the A to Z....you have an interesting past that does give us a better picture of how you got to where you are today. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. If my unwelcome thoughts could only be as lovely and cohesive as the photos, I'd be very glad.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails