Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Playing With Glass


When I was a kid I was always warned:  'Don't play with glass, you'll cut yourself!'


This 'rule' obviously didn't stick as I entered adulthood 
because I have always had a fascination with glass.


Whether it's sea-glass or collecting these vintage glasses
 that I have on glass shelves in the kitchen windows,


I'd have to say that my fascination with glass is beyond cure.


I am drawn to glass and it's qualities.....texture, weight, colour and function.


And since its composition is mostly silica (sand),
 it is no wonder that I am so at home at the beach walking in the sand along the shoreline.


That dark object above and to the right is a piece of sea-glass
that I found last month. It is a very dense, smooth piece and is dark green
in colour. At first I thought it was a rock
but after lifting it up to the sun I could see the green light coming through.


These glasses usually catch the morning sunlight and splatter colour all over the kitchen.


I am constantly on the hunt for vintage glasses and haven't come across one in ages.


Maybe I am not the only one out there looking for them!

11 comments:

  1. i love your collection of glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suppose, most of the vintage glassware is hoarded or broken by now or perhaps forgotten in storage along with Ya-ya's things. I have a fondness for glass, too - colored glass, art glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon. Two peas in the pod, we are!! I really appreciate art glass and find it fascinating. Now get pack to packing!! lol

      Delete
  3. It's like your own personal stained glass window, sort of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Debra! No curtains/blinds necessary here!!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful collection, Jim! I am also drawn to glass, especially colourful types. I don't collect it like you do, but I do love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always start Martha!
      I know, glass is great to look at!

      Delete
  5. It would make me happy to be greeted by all those pretty colors when I first enter my kitchen in the morning. You have collected some beautiful pieces and found a great way to display them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful collection of glasses and I love to see your photos of them in this way. Sooo cool! There's a quilt in every one of those photos!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails