Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Rose by Any Other Name......


As you could probably tell from some of my posts here, I am very partial to flower blossoms.




Over the years we have planted all sorts of varieties of shrubs and perennials. Some have survived and thrived while others didn't.




As I am sure you are aware, this is the nature of gardening.......you win some, you lose some.




On that note I want to share with you my favourite summertime blossom. It comes from a very hardy, pest-free, and self-contained/easy-to-care-for rose bush.




It is called Rosa Rugosa. I grew up knowing this shrub as the 'Wild Rose'. It is very prolific here in Nova Scotia.




I have tried a number of 'fancy' rose bushes but they proved to be too much work and needed a lot of care to keep them alive. We decided way back that our garden would be one filled with plant species that are hardy and not finicky.




The fragrance from these roses is intoxicating........in a good way. I love driving or walking past them and getting a whiff of their very distinctive scent.




The ones I have featured in this post all have a similar fragrance but with varying degrees of strength. The white rose has the strongest scent and the pink single has the most delicate, with the full-petaled pink in between.




These flowers remind me of my grandmother. Not sure why other than she must have had cologne or dusting powder with a similar scent.




Ours are in full bloom now and will continue to be so for the rest of the summer........another good reason to have these in your garden.




To really keep this guys blooming, I 'dead-head' them after they are finished. This almost guarantees lots more to come. Otherwise you won't get as many.




So if you are looking for that 'easy' shrub to grow in your garden I would recommend the Rosa Rugosa.....you won't regret it.



21 comments:

  1. i wonder if these would grow in southern california?? there are a lot of buildings that have a white rose bush growing that appears to be more "wild" than regular roses. i love these bushes. keep thinking of planting something like that along the drive of our building. beautiful pics as usual...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures and description are so beautiful I can almost smell the roses! It's wonderful how scents bring back memories of special people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those white roses are quite sublime

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those white ones! We used to have a lovely garden. Now we have a pool and a trampoline. So thank you for sharing yours with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had good luck with roses. Your roses are absolutely gorgeous! You do know how to pick 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are gorgeous ! If I remember correctly they give you a wonderful display of colour in the winter too with large rose hips ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, amazing pictures. I LOVE scented flowers ...... jasmine, magnolia, honeysuckle. Apparently, scent is the sense that we remember the longest. Not sure if that is true.... but how was your birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful roses, and beautiful pictures. I adore roses, Mick's just restyled the front garden as we lost so many plants in the cold few weeks last winter. We bought four Davis Austin roses and once established I know they'll be as beautiful as the ones in the back garden.
    Hope you're all well, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caliman, probably too hot in Southern Cal to grow these......would take a lot of care. But what do I know?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice looking roses, Jim. It's good to have an abundence of such naturally growing blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are absolutely gorgeous Jim!
    Our roses have done very well this year in spite of the less than ideal weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pics again Jim.

    I love the scent of Roses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so pretty...I can almost smell them..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmmm... we have a true wild rose down by the creek called "Cherokee Rose". Not exactly the same, but definitely similar to your white version. It's nothing that we planted; it just "is".... a native species, I guess. And I think these "native", "wild", or "heritage" species have a much, much purer, stronger, sweeter smell than the hybrids that have flooded the market. Love your photos of all of your lovely blooms.. enjoy them while they are there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. while i am partial to white roses, so i found something appealing here, i remember, years ago, having an apartment with a large terrace, and growing "peace" roses, in pots!! and they did quite well.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  16. what beautiful roses!!! i lerve the white ones best. you always take such good pictures..

    sorry i've been absent, took a lil time off blogging but i'm back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those rose photos are fabulous - just wish we could smell them!

    We hate that so many roses don't have any scent - at least the ones that are for sale over here!

    I guess we should see if we can grow something similar to your roses!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A wonderful walk with Sophie. Beautiful scenery and photographs.

    Thanks so much for linking up to YSB today. I really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos! You must have a beautiful rose garden!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails