Saturday, July 30, 2011

Retro Saturday


While looking for a few things to post for today's retro theme, I looked around the house and found these three items which fit the bill.


This lighting fixture was originally in a national department jewelry store. About 25 years ago I noticed that they were having a demolition sale of all their fixtures. The building had been there for decades and I liked this a lot. It is now in our kitchen.


The bowl above comes from Ron's mother's house. It hung in their kitchen for a very long time. There is some wear and tear but the scene is of a small town much like the one in which Ron and his mother grew up. It may even be that town in another century.



Speaking of Ron's family hometown, Wolfville, this photograph was taken 'just up over the hill' in the Gaspereau Valley. It is an area full of apple orchards (thus the apple blossoms) and over the past two decades or so these apple orchards are being replaced by vineyards.  The photographer, Wallace Macaskill, is from  Nova Scotia and is known for his photos of ships and scenic views of the province.

11 comments:

  1. I like the lamp fitting. I have a Garrards the jewellers mirror my brother gave me when Garrards closed & he had to help clear shop fittings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bowl that hung in Ron's mother's kitchen. Have a great weekend, guys (and gal).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat stuff! I really think that bowl is a real treasure - literally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home must be so warm with memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your treasures! A bit of history with each piece!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. LOVE those apple blossoms. Wow. I love that you have all of these special things surrounding you always. Your house is filled with love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the bowl too. Have you noticed how much horse art you have? I think you are a secret horse person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. smart purchase, that light fixture. i always wondered about those sales. i remember when i was young, an hotel here was being demolished to be replaced by a luxury shopping complex and condos on top... there would have been a few things of interest but i figured these would still be too expensive for my wallet. maybe i was wrong... but i'm pretty sure there were serious shoppers there, antics professionals, you know the kind, that just grab everything...
    oh well!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything old is new again! I've seen reproductions of light fixtures like these in some of the stores. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails