Saturday, July 23, 2011

Retro Saturday


When I originally saw these two pottery 'dishes' a couple months ago, I was intrigued with the workmanship and design on each.




I had forgotten to look up the signature on the back so when I saw them again, still on the same shelf at the Sally Ann, I scooped them up!




On the back of both is the name Cromarty and when I got home I 'googgled' it. I found out that it is a pottery business in northern Scotland and still in operation by the same family.




I thought I would contact them and let them know that a couple of pieces of their work has made safely over to Nova Scotia........which by the way means New Scotland.




Within the hour I had a reply from the son of the woman who started the business, her name was Alison Dunn.




He indicated that his wife had taken over the business and it was still 'going strong'. He was pleased that these dishes had made it over to Canada.




As far as the 'DS' on the above piece, he said that it was someone who had worked with his mother.




I am happy that I got these pieces of pottery.........and too that the business is still in operation after all these years.









14 comments:

  1. They're beautiful. But, I would think that the best part is knowing some of the history behind them. It kind of gives them a place in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like their soft triangular shape too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are nice pieces.The lines and colors work well together. Smart of you to scoop them up. I didn't realize Nova Scotia means New Scotland. Makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any indication as to when they were made? I like the darker one better, the painting is more angular. Good finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are two stunning pieces Jim..and so good of you to have found out who made them! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very kewl! And to be signed by the artist is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are fabulous dishes! I'm so glad you wrote the company and they answered back . That is a sweet story

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pottery pieces, I had a pottery business for 15 yrs. Maybe some day I will get a email from someone saying one of my dishes is in Canada :O). I actually did see one of my pieces in a antique store in a booth once :O). That was fun :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty - especially the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pieces indeed!! Wow pieces in fact! And signed? That's a find.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pottery and a great story!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails