Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday's Wrap Up



This has been a busy week around these parts.




Let's start with Dad's birthday party on Sunday which was a great day for all of us here. We are in constant awe of his spirit and determination. We are learning from him that life will throw it's challenges but it's what you do with them afterwards that makes a difference.




This leads me to Wednesday when we got word that Dad's sister, Eileen, died after a long illness. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease about 8 years ago. She was the youngest in his family. He is the oldest and is the sole survivor of his immediate family.




The last time I saw my aunt was about 6 years ago at my parent's anniversary party. She wanted to dance with me. We did. She was like a five year old....giggling and acting shy. It took all I had from crying.




Of course Dad is very sad but also thankful that she is no longer suffering with this dreadful illness. He will be fine as we are 'watching' him closely.




On my way into Dad's this morning at about 9:30 I noticed that all the school kids were heading for home. Then it hit me that this was the last day of school. I used to LOVE this day as a teacher. We were just as relieved as the kids!!! What's that saying? "No more kids teachers, no more looks books......or something like that!




This is a long weekend in Canada. Today is CANADA DAY. Canada is 144 years old. We are young compared to some countries. Should be lots of activities going on in Halifax over the next couple of days. We can hear the fireworks even though we are over 30 km. from the city. 






The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrived in Canada (Ottawa) yesterday afternoon. They, Will and Kate, will also be spending some time in PEI (Prince Edward Island). It will be crazy over on the island when they are there. We were entertaining the idea to 'go see', we'll see.




Summer is upon us. What is in store for us? Time will tell. We have found that we don't like to plan trips well in advance. We would rather just pack things up and go and not be stuck with a rigid schedule and tight time lines. Of course if it involved air travel, then we'd have to compromise....a little.




It has worked for us over the years. Let's see where this summer will take us.





16 comments:

  1. I feel so sad for your Father. I've said it before that it is good that he has all of you to keep his mind busy.
    Take care.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Jim. Happy Canada day to you... or was that yesterday? These pictures are gorgeous!! I agree, I don't like planning things so much either. Too much stress. Just take one day at a time and have fun.
    What a sweet memory of your aunt. Alzheimer's is a sad disease. I hope your dad is doing okay.
    No more teachers, no more books.. no more teachers dirty looks. (that's how I remember it.. )
    Sophie: You get more beautiful every day. How can that be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your aunt. I know it was not unexpected, though, and glad your dad got to have his day. Can't believe summer vacation for the school kids has just now arrived. I guess they won't be heading back until September? We've been out of school for a month now and will reconvene the end of August. A nice long stretch. Wherever your travels take you and Ron, I know you'll share your journey with us here in bloggyland. Looking forward to it. Happy Canada day to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that you Dad lost his sister. It's a horrible disease because the person struck is there, but, yet, not. Sometimes I think that medicine has done too good a job. We're living so long that things like Alzheimer's now have a better opportunity to take hold.

    But, enough sad. It's been a beautiful week, it's the beginning of a beautiful summer, and it sounds like you are well prepared to enjoy every single minute of it. So, Happy Canada Day, and Happy Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your Aunt,her years of suffering.Alzheimers is such a terrible disease.Love the picture of the bench by the sea with lovely Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the adirondack chair "built for two" -- Happy Canada Day, guys and Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz, due to the weather differences between each of our locales, it has always been this way here.......it is just beginning to feel like summer here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about your Aunt, I am glad that your Dad had his big day, before he heard the news. I am sure it was for the best, but still sad, all the same.

    Happy Canada Day! I hope you have a great weekend and find some fun!

    Summer has been in full swing here for some time, I am just thankful that men were given the brains to invent air conditioning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine being the only one left of my siblings...then again I don't want to be the first either. Condolences to your dad and entire family...I love the sweet memory your shared.
    Happy Canada Day..;j

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry for your loss...I'm sure your dad has mixed feelings...love the photos...Sophie's looking good...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The weather has been beautiful here but that is about to change! Happy Canada day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sympathy to you and your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about your aunt. Hope you and your Dad are still feeling strong.

    Lovely shots. Enjoy the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry about the loss of your aunt. I can't imagine how it would feel to be your dad, and be the last sibling in the family. Thankfully, he has an incredibly wonderful family to surround, support and love him.

    "No more pencils, no more books, no more Teacher's dirty looks..." is the way we used to sing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. belated canada day greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. splendid shots of Sophie!!
    :)~

    sorry for your loss, but as you said, better like this as she will not suffer anymore. when there's a quality of life, it's worth fighting for. but when not, why bother?...
    :/~

    enjoy your summer!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails