Friday, January 28, 2011

Who Said That Winter Doesn't Have Advantages


Every school in the province was shut down yesterday due to the weather. I thought it was kind of quiet outside in the early morning hours just after sunrise.



Usually I can hear the occasional school bus going by to pick up the first round of students. But not  yesterday. I can remember, not that long ago (about three years to be exact), when I would wake up to face another day at school.



Turn on the radio to hear that school was cancelled due to the weather or to an impending storm. Unless you are or were a teacher, you may not appreciate the thrill it was to hear that being announced.



And you thought it was just the kids jumping up and down with excitement! No! We teachers always looked forward to a break every now and then. Some may think this is not a very responsible/professional way for a teacher to think, but believe you me, we needed a break from the school routine as much as the kids did.



When you consider the day a teacher puts in.......surrounded by kids and catering to their every need, I'm talking up to 35 kids for five hours straight, it's no wonder we all need a break from each other!!



Don't get me wrong here. Most teachers LOVE what they are doing. Otherwise why would they put themselves through this on a daily basis for 195 days of the year? Nobody would or should do that to themselves unless they were very dedicated to this profession.


So yes, I was a little envious of all the teachers out there yesterday in Nova Scotia who could feel that little rush of excitement and just 'turn over' and catch a few more very deserved minutes of sleep.







15 comments:

  1. Growing up in southern California meant we NEVER got any days off for weather! Sorry I haven't visited in a while and hope all's well with you guys and Sophie--this morning we do have frost on everything but once the sun comes out it'll warm up nicely (sorry......).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to love snow days! I think every teacher deserves a medal....I used to teach in kindergarten 3 days a week....that was enough for me sometimes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred now teaches on-line. When there is a school delay/closing, he still teaches and is home with four kids. But I don't get out of it totally, I've already called in late four times this winter because of these delays.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have any children on our county road that ride the bus -- I used to be able to set my clock to it when it drove past at 8:10 am every morning.

    I would imagine teachers appreciate snow days just as much as the children. A day off is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could relate to this, but we NEVER get snow days here in Chicago. N-E-V-E-R!!! Don't get me wrong, the suburban schools get them all the time, it's just the city that doesn't. Poop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teachers have one of the toughest jobs out there, I think. Much is demanded of them. Perhaps too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an abundance of respect for teachers. My sister is a teacher and I've heard her say pretty much everything that you have posted. How rewarding it must be to be a teacher... and how deserving they are of their snow days and spring and summer breaks!!

    Enjoy your snow, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see the 10 y/o boy end of the equation and the elation is not to be underestimated. We are on our third "snow day" here. I'm beginning to wonder what important lessons he is missing out on; he's busy happily exhausting himself by sledding, shoveling, digging tunnels, and engaging in snowball fights. He is having a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *sigh* Gone are the "snow days" of my youth! Now I have to take one of my vacation days if I can't make it into work because of the snow :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. When we had that brutally cold day earlier, they didn't cancel school in our district, though they did in others around here. I saw the kids from the tract across the street standing all in a huddle waiting for the bus and I could just imagine the very creative cuss words they were using to describe the Superintendent who didn't close school.

    I taught for a couple of years, before I decided that I wasn't a good teacher and needed to move on to something that I was better at. I remember, even after all these years, the thrill of that "there's no school today!" feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some Mom's (note:some) like those snow days too! No hurry up breakfast, no finding that whatsy that the child can't find, just go back to bed and wait till somebody comes into the bedroom and says "Mom, what are we going to eat?" That lovely hour or two of just lazing in the warm bed - heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon, never thought about the 'stay at home Moms'. I can see that it is a break of sorts for them. But the working Mom's......it's a scramble!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for that, to you all. The North American school system, particularly that in harsh climates like the north, has always been a curiosity for me and you've given me some insight, a glimpse of what is, that helps me understand it more. Chi town girl, I never realised that Chicago City did not get snow! Here I am a 'Bears' supportter and all this time I've never known that. Guess the city generates too much warmth in winter for snow to form.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We don't get snow days that often here in the Midlands of England, but when we do, I am invariably already showered and dressed by the time I get a call to say my school is closed. That's a big *sigh* moment, and serves me right for getting up so early.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to have a snow day. It hasn't happened yet though. When you teach adults, the criteria for cancellation gets far stricter.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails