Saturday, January 29, 2011

Retro Saturday


It seems that Saturday rolls around much more quickly than other days and I fear I'll 'run out' of things to share with you. No worries today. I have a few things left from last week's thrift adventure at the Parker Street Furniture Store.


I've featured Blue Mountain Pottery before. I think I like it because it is made in Canada and there are not that many (I encourage you to prove me wrong now) pottery studios in Canada that have come to be so collectible as BMP. This vase was something I hadn't seen before, so I scooped it up for an unbelievable low price.


As you may have gathered from these 'retro' posts I love salt and peppers. Have no clue why either. They are usually so cute and tiny that I can't resist. These have no markings but I suspect they were made in Japan for the North American market.


What the heck?! No, it isn't our 25th. anniversary, we have long passed that one! This little dish with violets was so pristine and cute, well you know the rest.......


I have never seen this company before, Royal Victorian. Looked it up but couldn't find anything. Lots of Royal Victoria though.


The very retro coffee mug. I have so many of these in all colours from Jadite to pale yellow. They are the 'classic' mug that I, at least, identify with the old 'diners' and restaurants of the 50's and 60's. Very cheap to produce at the time and everyone had them.


This particular mug was made by the 'Anchor Hocking'   Glass Corporation.....you can see the anchor in the centre.

Speaking of coffee, I haven't had my 'fix' yet (green tea of course) ! And we are off to Dad's in a few minutes to bring him lunch/dinner. I made a beef stew yesterday and it will be just what the doctor ordered on this snowy winter day in Nova Scotia.

Hope you are all having a great weekend.



15 comments:

  1. What great finds! I love the salt and pepper shakers ( im afriad to start collecting asI know I will end up wiht a house full) and the tuquoise/ black glaze on the pottery is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I for one, would be sorely disappointed to see your Retro Saturdays come to a halt. Therefore, there is only one certain solution: More shopping and quick!

    Great things this week. Beef stew sounds divine right about now. Have a good visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that vase Jim. Have a nice cozy afternoon there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny! I just said in my response to comments on yesterday's post that I,too, was afraid of running out of treasures. But I found some more as I know you will find retro stuff. I have an image in my mind of your basement -- full of stuff and treasures. Those coffee cups sure bring back memories of being young and hanging out in coffee shops.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  5. How big is the Blue Mountain? You almost need to put a ruler along side of something like this - It looks like a jardiniere, but maybe it's so much smaller, I don't know - very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That vase certainly grabbed my attention. It's beautiful! In the summertime, you need to fill it with white daisies, baby's breath and greenery. It will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing screams "retro" like Blue Mountain pottery. It is Canada's gift to the world (or curse, depending on whether one likes it or not)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That white coffee mug brought back a nice memory for me, of my dad sitting at the kitchen table drinking his coffee. This was the mug he used. Enjoy your time with your dad. Tell him hello.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the green vase and I remember those coffee mugs so well. I think they may have stopped making the latter 'cos they were so 'everlasting' ...?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pot is gorgeous! Love the colors! I, too, have lots of the glass mugs. My coffee just taste better in them than in the ceramic mugs made in China!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heh Jim.. thanks for coming to visit! I like the Blue Mountain pot too... colours are gorgeous.. have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the vase. It would be pretty with daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that mug! The little dish is gorgeous. How many years is silver? 25? I am so glad you are very happy together and have been together for so long. I think love is a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mom (from Newfoundland) has a few pieces of the turquoise-green pottery from BMP. I've always admired it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still have my white Anchor Hocking mug that I used to drink my hot chocolate from. Mine is printed with the Arkansas Razorback logo on it. But I recognized yours right away. Mine now collects all the canadian change that I gather. Then when I visit your awsome country, I return the change to it's homeland. I love paying for things with pennies.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails