Monday, January 10, 2011

Contemplative Monday





I've been reading Taking The Leap by Pema Chodron. It is a tiny book/guide to help us realize and experience the benefits of taking time out to stop or pause what we are doing; and, in the process, freeing ourselves from old habits and fears.




She says: "Pausing is very helpful in this experience. It creates a momentary contrast between being completely self-absorbed and being awake and present. You just stop for a few seconds, breathe deeply, and move on. You don't want to make it into a project...........In the middle of just living, which is usually a pretty caught-up experience characterized by a lot of internal discussion with yourself, you just pause."



12 comments:

  1. Good advice. This sounds like a great self help book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me think of those old Coca Cola ads -- "The pause that refreshes" . . . !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn fine idea it is too! :))))) Susie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that more people would realize the value of a pause every now and then. They both refresh you and make you focus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Stop and smell the roses" or maybe, "slow down and smell the coffee?" Either way, very good advice, Jim ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post Jim. I loved the idea of pausing, and then I realised that I wouldn't know what to think about whilst I was paused. And then I thought I had missed the point, so I decided to do some internet research, and apparently you are a bit like a Buddhist except not as complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie, don`t focus on anything except very lightly on the breath....not on the mechanisms of breathing or anything. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. love what you did to those photos... and i ditto your thoughts as well. peace and stillness is the answer... but what was the question again, i forget... [joking] lol.... have a good day within, friend.


    my word verif. was "hotonder" as in... it is hotonder dis blanket... or... oh my it was hotonder the wife lass night"..... OR ... the car is very hotonder da hood!! lmao those were good ones... i crack me self up sometimes,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pause a lot, not like you're saying though...

    What are the pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon, those are slightly enhanced pics of the sand at the beach. They were at first very plain and not too interesting looking. Si I `tweaked` them a little and this blue appeared, like water.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really pause, but I do take time to enjoy the beauty of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your tweaking....fabulous! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails