Monday, January 31, 2011

Contemplative Monday





One of the most memorable, if not helpful, books I have read is by Pema Chodron.......'When Things Fall Apart'.




I read this book when life was presenting a few very difficult things to me all at once. It was a book recommended to me and I am now grateful that I took their advice. It is a book that I often go to for perspective and 'grounding'.




It is not a glossy, everything will be OK kind of book, but one that doesn't 'pull any punches' and presents real life to you.....and not on a silver platter.




“We think that the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.” ~ Pema Chodron from When Things Fall Apart


Photos of our Dwarf Crown of Thorns (which ALWAYS blooms).





20 comments:

  1. The excerp certainly gave me things to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, this sounds like something I could use right now. I will look for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect plant and photos for today's post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos Jim. Thank you for identifying it. Is it an indoor plant? Or outdoors?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice and beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a book we all should have,I will try and find it! I swear we have those same plants growing here in the dry parts of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy and Liesl, this plant wouldn't survive our winters here but we do put it out in the summer. But it is an indoor plant for us. I believe they are 'native' to South Africa but I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning photos Jim & good words of wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  9. What absolutely beautiful photographs. On my busy Monday here in the woods, just looking at them made me slow down and take note. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shit-hot pictures yet again Jim! You are soooooo talented.

    I see what you mean about Pema Chodron. Whilst she sounded all arty and everything, her quote was a bit abstract, and on a practical level, I wouldn't know how to allocate time for grief / relief etc. It doesn't really work like that.

    Mind you, I am a northerner and have got the sophistication of a pea haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quote certainly contains a very pertinent life lesson. I'll carry it in my mind for times when I need it.

    I was going to ask what kind of plant that was when I saw the end of your entry. It's gorgeous, and looks slightly dangerous, all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful flowers, so nice when everything is so gray.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pictures! But instead of buying a book, you could have just called me. I would have straightened you out!
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mark! Now you tell me!!!

    Annie, I don't think allocating would help much....it's creating the 'space' to accommodate all of it....through meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are spot on today...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pictures (as usual). I know.... I'm late :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to look for that book at the library next time I get to town.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is just what i needed to hear right now.. going through some crapicola... thanks. i may pick that book up..

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful. I love good books. They always help me through issues as well. And Heaven knows I have a TON of freaking issues!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails