Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Time to UP the Complaining




With all the press on the oil spill in the gulf, I have noticed that some people are choosing to 'stay away' from the conversation so they won't have to think about it.




I feel just the opposite. I think we all should contact our local and federal government representatives and start becoming more vocal on the 'loosey-goosey" laws and regulations that are presently in place pertaining to oil companies drilling off our shores.






This is very important to me because of where I am  situated and how much a spill would directly affect my life and everyone else's around here. And maybe it already has, as there could be a time-bomb getting ready to go off in the future.






It has been reported locally that if the conditions are right, the oil which is presently in the Gulf of Mexico, could find it's way here by hitching a ride with a hurricane or tropical storm. Atlantic Canada has a few wild storms every fall. 






These environmental disasters affect everyone, not just the people who live near the ocean.


I can't imagine what the wildlife is going through (I find it hard to watch the reports) and not to mention the effects the people are experiencing with loss of employment and recreation.






So folks, I think it's time to get on the phone or computer and let your reps get an earful. How else will they know that anyone really cares. If enough people did this, the reps may begin to feel threatened for their 'seats' and actually begin the process to do something to stop this insanity....letting big business call the shots on what THEY want to do to save $$$$. 






Having 'grown up' in the 60's, I know the power of vocal demonstration and  that changes can be made if there is enough 'noise' made in the right places.







14 comments:

  1. It a crying, (BLEEP) shame that everything now days, is all about the money. Yes, they need to get their acts in gear and stop this stuff. I say that - and someone else will say, what about free enterprise? The Earth is the only true legacy we can leave our children, that is worth anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free enterprise is thriving and doing very well.....how much do they need? Greed is quite an addiction I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is....I'm very proud of my Daddy for what he truly believes in...beside these are my beaches that I like to run on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just went through my address labels today and in there were a labels adressed to the President, the CA senators and my representative. I looked at them and wondered if this old protester, who was in her 20s in the 60s, would ever protest again. You just answered my question.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Inger,glad I could give you a push. Didn't you just love the 60's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it does start in our own backyard doesn't it? if we don't stand up to protect it - no one else is going to do it for us - the facts about BP's operation prove that. A lot of what they practice is not permissible in the North Sea - THEIR backyard. The chemical dispersant they used is BANNED there. argh! our 1st mistake is in allowing deepwater drilling AT ALL ..... ANY drilling in my opinion. And then I hear some politician saying we should be building 100 nuclear power plants right now (instead of just one) - China's building 50 - it must be a good idea, right? WRONG!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great topic, Jabacue!

    Weeks ago I contacted my US Senators and the representative in Congress for my district about the spill. Then I did so with other members who represent my state (we're located where our coast could be affected by the spill too).

    Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a coherent strategy on Capitol Hill (or even a consistent message) about steps to be taken. Most offices I contacted weren't especially sure whom those willing volunteer in clean up efforts should contact.

    This goes way beyond being just a "D"emocrat or "R"epublican issue. We need to be prepared to act like we would after a disaster (like an earthquake) and do everything we can to help.

    I agree with J... the earth is what we leave our kids. And God has made us all the stewards of creation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an international disaster. You're right on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brazil has been using bio-fuels for 30 years. ALL cars run on ethenol.
    If the governments of the US and Canada invested more in agriculture and less in oil, this whole mess would be done and over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right on!!!!! I grew up in the sixties. Am a firm believer if enough people start screaming what they want, the politicians will have to listen. After all, as you said, the politicians don't want to lose their seats.
    What really makes me ticked off about this whole Gulf mess is that it could have been avoided. The inspectors/regulators should have done their job and made BP fix all their violations. Not just turn a blind eye.
    This oil spill is going to effect Mother Earth and all her animals for years to come.
    Just makes me sick.
    Scream loud. Scream long. Be heard!!
    GREAT post today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Remember the old saying of the 60's:"Power to the people", well that's what's missing today....no one gives a damn or they don't seem to know what to do about it!
    Maybe we ex-hippies have to show them how it is done and start screamin' our heads off again about the stupid decisions in which we are all finding ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well said.

    I love the sixties... style & music but this is from what I learned later - born in 63 & wish I'd been twenty in 63 !!!
    - surely you were a baby then too ?
    (I don't know how old you are !)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are still a baby! I was 20 in '68 and lived through all the tumultuous days of demonstrations and protesting. I love it and survived to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post and I couldn't agree w/ you more!
    Our poor planet!

    On a lighter subject, I enjoyed my visit to your blog. Sophie is adorable!
    NS is one of my favorite spots.
    ~K

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails