Saturday, May 7, 2011

Retro Saturday





Look what I found at my new-favourite thrift shop this week........




I usually, upon entering a 'shop', head immediately over to the glassware. I did.....nothing that interested me. I looked around the rest of the store and not a thing attracted my interest.




So to the front counter where Bev, the manager, was standing. Under the glass counter was where Bev kept the 'special' items. I noticed all the way to the other end two pairs of retro juice glasses. I liked them and asked Bev if I could take a closer look.........for cracks, chips etc.




She mentioned that she had more of these in her office. She was 'keeping them' from the antique dealers that frequent the place and was awaiting someone like myself, an ordinary collector, to come in.




I was excited when she brought out 12 more in three other patterns! In the end I got 16 glasses for under $5.00. Not bad at all.




I thanked Bev and she explained that 'dealers' clean up everything from the shop. It's not that they are 'bad' people she said, it's just that she likes to 'put aside' a few thing for everyone else.




Bev is a real sweetie. The store is in a rough neighbourhood and caters to people that can use a break on prices for household items, furniture  and staples. She has her 'regular' patrons who bring in their children as well. 




While I was there at least a half dozen children got a handful of candy from Bev when they greeted her. That was the condition to receive candy.....a 'greeting' and a 'thank you', that was all.




It was so heart-warming to see the kids eyes and smiles upon getting their treats. I could really appreciate what Bev does to improve their lives and hopefully their community, albeit in a very small way......more than just selling things from the shop.




I am getting quite a collection of these glasses. Pretty soon there will be no room on the glass window shelves for any more.









23 comments:

  1. i really like your pictures. and the scary thought here is the fact that i like those glasses!!!!!!!
    OH BOY!! it's airborne!! didn't know this was contagious...

    ;)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good find Jim! I like the gold rim on those glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so beautiful. I love them. I love Bev and people like her. She is making a difference. Making a difference is always a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love~

    Just build another shelf, Jim. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are marvelous and it sounds like your little community is a rich and special place.

    thank goodness not a lot of earthquakes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bev really captured the idea of a thrift shop. That is so nice of her!

    I love your retro glasses they sparkle like multi colored jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, did you luck out! That was a steal of a deal, that's for sure and they are in such nice condition! Well done! Now you will have to find a deal on a show case!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a deep blog! What can I say; you’ve hit the nail right on the head! You even added some videos to make it seem so much more real. You’ve got a great way of communicating with the reader, a great way of making me feel like what you have to say is just as important to me as it is to you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy moly! You hit the motherlode! Isn't Bev a sweetie?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't let the huge accumulation of glassware stop you...tear down a wall and put windows in, then MORE SHELVES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful Jim & I can see why you like them so much. The light through them must look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There! I have it in writing! "Tear down a wall'? M-M-M.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Bev is a special woman! How nice that she considers you a regular, not a dirty dealer, LOL! Those glasses are really beautiful. I bet you couldn't keep from trembling when she brought them all out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. they are all so bloody clean!
    see our glass collection in the kitchen....

    mucky and fingerstained!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sooo bad.
    You're lucky they're pretty.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bev sounds like a real gem. Finding someone that lovely is rarer than finding lovely glasses with gold rims 'wink'!! Beautiful photographs again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Bev's a gem!
    Those glasses are so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those shots are wonderful, and I love the story that goes with the glasses. Bev sounds like a great lady.

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful designs on the glasses

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bev sounds like a real sweetheart! And aren't you the lucky one...that's quite a haul.

    No problem to borrow the quote but I should let you know that it was pointed out to me that the quote is an amalgam to quotes from MLK and Mark Twain. Either way, it certainly sums up my feeling on the matter. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful woman Bev is. And those glasses are charming!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice glasses, Jim. I was out doing a little yard sale shopping yesterday morning myself and came close to getting a set of very old glasses but I had to remind myself that I wasn't ready to get rid of anything in my cabinets and there just wasn't room for any more. So I settled for a single crystal juice glass. I love this time of year - yard sale mania gives me a rush like no other. Bev sounds really nice. Glad you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jim I am glad I found your site. I love those glasses. I love thrift shop hunting. B

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails