Saturday, May 14, 2011

Retro Saturday





Check out this Royal Winton tea set I got at the Sally Ann last week. It was on display in the glass cabinet/counter.




I couldn't tell at first who the manufacturers were. I thought it was a Sadler. Then I saw the brand mark and was a little surprised. I don't usually see this too often....at least around here.




I have always liked what the Royal Winton company made over the years. I have a large collection of their square dessert serving  plates with floral and country scenes. Will dig them out some day. They are mostly famous for their 'chintz' floral  patterns.




I don't think this is an old set.....the brand stamp looks newish. Unless it was never used and in storage. Plus, I think it is a 'later' piece because it is 'decaled' and not hand -painted.




But it does have a lot of 'crazing/crackling'------which is on the glazed surface only. In any case this was too unique to pass up.




If you look closely at the above photo, there is a name 'Hector Gibson England'. I did a little research and found out that it was a company in Staffordshire, England that bore his name but could not find anything about him. Over the years a number of pottery/china companies joined forces and became one.





Related Posts with Thumbnails