Friday, May 27, 2011

The Wait Was Worth It





Over the past few weeks I have been documenting, through photos, the progress of our yellow magnolia........Magnolia Acuminata "Yellow Bird'.




And since this spring was rather on the 'cool/cold' side, the buds were very hesitant to open too early....for fear of dying from exposure and frost bite!




Nonetheless, the buds remained intact throughout this cooler than usual spring. So starting with the top photo you will see the progress that has been made up until today, Friday.




By the way, last year was the first year that this Magnolia bloomed. It had one blossom. This year I believe it will have over two dozen! We have been waiting 8 years for this 'flush' of blossoms. It will be well worth the wait.




And when they are all in bloom, I will show you a photo of this wonderful tree.











16 comments:

  1. I love this time of year. Nice pictures, Jim...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love magnolias. My favorite tree. We have one that the prior owner planted but it's in an awful spot, in the shade under a pine and maple. It never blooms more than one or two buds. I need to transplant it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do declare! Time for a celebratory mint julep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Jim! I LOVE these shots. What a fun series of shots. So glad you could document it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This tree, in full bloom, in the moonlight...

    it would be magic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful Jim. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty colour-yes, well worth the wait !

    ReplyDelete
  8. they are beautiful, indeed. and i just love your wind chime in the background as i read your posts. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg, those photos are magnificent!
    i love your photography!

    have a great weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know there was a yellow magnolia...it is magnificent! My fifteen year old pinkie didn't bloom at all this year and I was so disappointed. It is one of my favourites.
    Enjoy your weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jim
    Been trying to get hold of a Magnolia tree for my 'other half' for a while now but every garden store I go to seems to have sold out!
    Typical of me - always behind with the current trends.
    Great pics by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, amazing pics Jim! Over what period of time were they taken? Great idea for a blog post that was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like this, a cliffhanger!!

    i'll be back to see the conclusion. i love magnolias!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails