Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Walk



Come along on a walk with me in our garden this bright and sunny morning on the first day of December.


I took Sophie out for her apres-meal, constitutional walk in the garden. I am pretty sure she 'sucked me in' so she could go find her 'tuggie' toy which she left outside.

Off she went to find it! Since I had the camera with me I thought I would look for things of interest. The light was perfect in places, so I took full advantage of it.

This is the 'lathe' house I built years ago. It is disintegrating before our eyes but in the process it has this great patina and interplay with the light.

For about ten plus years it had this grapevine growing all over it producing a pile of grapes for the birds. You see, it grew up onto a very large Spruce tree and started to 'take IT over', so we had to cut down the vine (ouch, I know) in order to save the tree.

This is what's left of the trunk of the grapevine. Great textures here, eh?

Near this structure  is a small grove of evergreens, Spruces. I noticed the different depths of field and the sunlight mingled between the trees. It is difficult to always capture what one sees.
I find you have to focus on not what's just in front of you sometimes in order to get that 'shot'.


I love shadows! And noticed the Periwinkle ground-cover growing over a rock.

This plant can be very invasive and we have to keep our eye on it. Otherwise it would literally take over the whole garden in no time flat! But, it does have a beautiful purple blossom in early summer. So what CAN one do?

Been having a few problems with the Tibetan Prayer Flags. They keep falling to the ground. I suspect a squirrel is doing it because I caught it trying to stuff one of the flags into it's mouth on a number of occasions....probably for 'winter bedding'.


Again, this red flag looked great in contrast to the grayish tree trunk.

As I walked up into the front garden, the Rhododenrons looked bright and perky and were covered in next year's buds. 

Here's hoping we won't have a lot of freeze/thaw this winter. It can be devastating to plants around here. If the ground is frozen (which it should be all winter) and we have a thaw, the soil will heave up and could bring up the roots along with it. And when it freezes again......you get the picture. The plant can die and as well the buds can drop off.

This rosehip was all by itself on one of the Rugosas.

I think that rusty things in a garden add a lot as far as colour and interesting texture.

These are things we leave out all year and let them do their thing.

I noticed that this plaque on the shed was starting to form some rust in places. A few more years and it will be covered.

Sophie finally found her 'tuggie' and insisted that we play with it. She is pretty strong now and you really have to focus on what you are doing.....she loves to play rough! Don't know who taught her that!

Thought I would take advantage of the weather today as it's supposed to rain for the next few days.

I really don't think we'll have any snow this year. Yeah right!!!







19 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, and what a lovely yard you have. Isn't it fun to walk around a place you know well and notice the "small things?" Thank you for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thanks for finding me through Jason.
    As if you've never heard this before, your photos are beautiful. I have major issues with taking up-close pictures and of course, with lighting. I really need to practice more often than staying with what I think that I do best.
    Once again, thanks for finding me and I'll be back. Maybe for some tips!
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a very talented photographer, Jabacue! And love that Green Man plaque!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jim! I really enjoy how you take the pictures of things that are 'ordinary' and make them 'extraordinary'--It makes me look at the smaller things around me and see their beauty.

    I hope your day is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i needed a dose of "pretty" in this most dreadful day for me, and you delivered!! thanks!!
    :)~
    here, it's crazy!! we've had snow, now it's raining hard, and with very strong winds...
    sounds promising for the coming winter...
    :/~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly are teaching me a few things everyday about photography. I too love shadows and am intrigued by the photos of them. I love the leaf with the light refelcting through it...
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally stunning your dark & light shots. I love Periwinkle - but what I had... the hens ate !

    I think you should get a cat too... Sophie you are OK with that aren't you ? ( I'm going to go talk to Sophie right now !!! )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! Sophie, I broke my tuggie in 3 seconds... at least we were still at the pet store and exchanged it for another toy (which is now gone too). Apparently I have the land speed record for breaking indestructible dog toys. Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bloody hell, your pictures are brilliant. You have taken really close up pictures of day to day stuff and made them really interesting. Top talent Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely fantastic images - you are my continual source of encouragement and inspiration! I know I'll get better if i stop taking 'picture' images and look for more unique images!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful photos!! You guys are always capturing the best of the best... Sophie, glad you found your tuggie toy. Now if you could just get the guys to tug for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so arty. Amazing talent....beautiful photos. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha, John Gray!!
    you really out-did yourself today...these photos are beautiful. Who says winter can't be interesting?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, but sad that the Lion is changing....
    The Acorn man seems to be aging well.

    Jim, these pets of ours - play us like fiddles! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures! isn't photography fun?!!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing the walk in your garden, I loved it. Your pictures are wonderful, as always, and are so inspirational, as someone has already said.
    I love the "green man" plaque on your shed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful photos. Thanks for the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have many plants that are like ours, but I think your winters are much colder. I wonder how they survive?
    Your garden is beautiful, as is your Sophie.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails