Tuesday, December 14, 2010

To The Back Of The Bus!!!

I have noticed on a couple of blogs recently a 'link' to a very worthy cause....that of adoption for Down's Syndrome children from around the world. Check it out here.


This is an area that is 'close to my heart'. For the first ten years of my teaching career, I worked with kids who had Down's Syndrome. It was the best ten years of my career.


With no intentions of pursuing an adoption of any sort, I followed the links on this site to see what the 'terms' were. I read the history of the creator of the organization and was very impressed with her intentions.


I read the criteria necessary to those who were considering to partake in the adoption process. There was the usual financial stability, a background check, health history that may be pertinent, and the next criteria that slapped me right in the face.


Same-sex couples could not adopt. It said that there are no foreign countries at this time that allow or will consider same-sex adoption.


Was I surprised? Yes. I am always taken aback when I am jolted into the realization that 'minorities' in this world are not readily accepted.


 I guess we, in Canada at least,  have taken for granted that to be homosexual is not an obstacle any longer when it comes to our 'rights and freedoms'. And anything to suggest so is unconstitutional in Canada, not to say that bigotry and prejudice has disappeared because of this.


I was immediately taken back to the 50's and 60's when African Canadian/American peoples were blatantly treated like second-class citizens. I couldn't believe that human beings were being treated like this. But they were.


I am not suggesting that the aforementioned adoption agency is not worthy of your attention. It is! And I strongly recommend anybody who does qualify to consider this worthwhile cause. 


I just find it difficult at times to be constantly reminded that I was born 'different'  from the majority in this world and therefore am considered not equal or worthy in some areas on this planet. Should I have wanted to adopt from another country, I couldn't because I am a homosexual.


I do not presume to know what it is like to grow up being an African Canadian/American in this culture of ours. But, if I may, I have an inkling.











20 comments:

  1. I guess bigotry is more important than finding adoptive homes for kids who need one. But hey, not even Elton John could adopt the baby they wanted from the Ukrainian orphanage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you got the gist of it.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just call me an idiot, or anything else, but those countries that will put the Downs children in institution will still be paying $$$ for their care if they are not adopted. Why don't they financially help the people who are wanting a child? Why does it have to cost so much money? It costs MORE to raise a Downs child and they remain children, basically the rest of their lives. They often have more medical problems than your "normal" child.

    I am not talking through my hat here. I have a GD that is Downs, and I know what joy and heartache is involved. Our beautiful Kristan is 21 years old now.

    I maybe haven't phrased things tactfully, but it did put a burr in my panties when I was reading it. There are so many children in need of adoption, in our own back yards...........

    Best to take shoe out of my mouth and wish you a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jim,it is terrible to know that in this day and age something like that still happens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame! With so many babies around the world that need a home, it's amazing that they are not offering homosexual couples the opportunity to adopt. It's so unfair, especially for those kids that are forced to spend another day in a orphanage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mum taught Downs syndrome children for years & keeps in touch with many of them in their late forties now.

    Bizarre when some people can get through the adoption process then abuse children when some loving coples are denied.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We consider ourselves so enlightened and civilized these days. I question that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do agree that this 'guideline' is wrong. I know several same-sex couples who have strong relationships and would make wonderful parents to these children that need someone to parent them and give them the life they so deserve. Over a year ago my husband went through the whole process and were turned down to adopt an older child because we didn't have a local friend or family member who could help us out in an emergency...I respect the 'rules' but when you're able and have something to give a child in need, why should the rules be so set in stone? Just my thoughts during my lunch...

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the children in the world crying out for someone to love them. It makes me bloody sick to death that couples are denied the chance to provide a loving home. Idiotic ridiculous pathetic rules.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This world is full of people who feel it is their right to judge others. There is a lot of bigotry that goes on... and if it's not in our back yard, we are unmindful of it. The down syndrome children are like angels on earth... what a special opportunity it must be to raise one. Unfortunately, there are those who feel that being loving, caring, parents and providers is not enough. It's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really riles me up! Mind sets that homosexuals are second or third class citizens and aren't allowed to do certain things because some arrogant, self righteous, pompous asses say so! Grrrrr.
    Okay, before I really go on a tangent, let me say, great post!
    Hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sister, who is single, had a very difficult time adopting. Happily, I finally got a precious niece from India.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so unfair for all involved, especially the children.
    I pray for the day when all men (and women) are treated equally.
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jabacue,
    This infuriated me...I just will never understand the inability to look past differences regardless of its origin. I say it makes me mad, but it really makes me sad that we as humans can't see people from the inside out...oh well, I'm preaching to the choir.
    I'm like you though, I love teaching kids with special needs and the kids with Down's Syndrome are just a joy! I remember Lisa who did not want to do anything so I bought a plastic tin of buttons and all i had to do was shake that tub and ask her if she wanted to pick up my buttons for me and boy she worked like a mad-woman...Then there was Lindsay who snuck her cat in her bookbag on the bus because she wanted to protect him. By time they both arrived at school that cat was fighting to get out of her bag and madder than a wet hen...oh it was funny!
    thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All your comments have brought back a flood of memories of my years teaching 'developmentally challenged' students. I could write a book about that adventure! I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you so much for mentioning this, I really appreciate it, and it's so unfair what people say and do.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  17. My sister had worst degree of Down's syndrome and was very lucky to live in Sweden where she had her own apartment in a facility with her own caregiver, a lovely woman from Chile. I became so excited reading the first paragraphs above and then my heart sank. It also made me curious to find out what is going on in good old Sweden with this issue. I am disturbed about this and understand how taken aback you must be.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sharon, Why don't I adopt? Well, lots of reasons. But that would be for a future post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i agree with all the heartfelt comments already spoken here, i cant believe kids are denied parents just because the people in charge are judgemental...

    its a sad, sad, world...

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails