Friday, May 9, 2014

Back To The Hood


For most of my childhood, up till I was 17,
 I lived in a neighbourhood in the North End of Halifax.


Back then it was mainly a working-class area of the city
 and it had everything one would ever need at that time back in the 50's and 60's.


The neighbourhood drug store/pharmacy, dry cleaners, two grocery stores, a meat market,
laundromat....what more would one want?!


Today, this commercial part of the community has been of course brought up to date 
with a few trendy and appetizing shops.


We are in this area quite a bit....as 'our' coffee shop is also here.


So yesterday I decided to go 'window shopping/photographing'
as Ron and Sophie were content to sit on a bench
 in a small park across the street.


These shops on Young Street run for a block down one side of the street.
I grew up one block away towards the harbour.


I have mentioned this area before.....the Hydrostone (click).
Every building/house in this area, it runs for about 10 streets,
is made from hydrostone/special cinderblocks  and they were all built 
after the Halifax Explosion in 1917.


Oh yes, a substantial portion of the cost for rebuilding this area
 was paid for by the city of Boston  (click) and the state of Massachusetts.


It has become a very trendy part of the city now
and I am happy it still has its old charm with all these unique buildings.




7 comments:

  1. i would love to see that area of halifax!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The special relationship between Boston and Halifax is still very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful area of interesting shops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe I would like to shop there... for a hat! Looks to be a great place to window shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the Hydrostone Market. It is such a fun area to browse! I especially like Bogside Gallery and Juliene's Bakery. Oh no, now I'm hungry for one of their yummy treats. Maybe tomorrow. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is charming. would love to check out my old neighbourhood but it would require too much traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your beautiful old neighborhood. My ancestors went back and forth between Boston and Nova Scotia a lot! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails