Saturday, February 26, 2011

Retro Saturday





Today's 'retro' item is one that I found in an antiques shop in the village of New Germany, Nova Scotia just off the South Shore heading inland. And since our buddy, 'Winter', returned last night with a kind of vengeance, what better way to brighten the day. 




When I saw it set up in a corner it looked very familiar to me but at first I had no idea why it would. I continued to look around at all the 50's vintage in the place from arborite kitchen table sets to you name it.






When I got back to it, it dawned on me that my parents had this exact 'card table' when I was a kid of about 5 or 6. It was those big red flowers that stood out in my mind. I never knew of course what they were at the time but I thought they were beautiful.




I don't remember what the table was used for, probably the kids, that would be me and my sisters, ate at it some of the time. Or maybe my parents played 45's on it with friends, it was a 'card table' after all!




So I wanted it! But what would I do with it? We didn't have room for another table in the house.




Then I had an idea. We were looking for a large, bright, cheerful painting for the bedroom. I would take the legs off the table and hang it! Worked for me.




It's been hanging there ever since. And it does brighten the room up. Funny thing is that in early summer we have a lot of those flowers blooming in our garden.....Oriental Poppies of course!




Oh yes, and when my sister Jo-Ann saw this 'painting' she recognized it immediately.









16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! This is great. So the next time I'm out at a yard sale or at an antique market and see a table with a pattern I love, I'll be thinking... maybe the wall?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! It looks wonderful on the wall too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stroke of genius ! and lovely that it evokes lots of happy childhood memories !

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome idea, jimbo... it is SO cool to find something you had around in your childhood, isnt it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy Retro Saturdays. It's so interesting to open your blog and see what lovely things you have for us to see this time. Your card table makes a lovely wall hanging. I think that every time you look at it, it must bring back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is a gorgeous piece! Did you retain the legs, in the case you need a card table?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always found it interesting -- and wonder if you do, too -- how thrilled I am to find something that triggers a childhood memory or feeling. I excite with happy nostalgia at finds like this -- even though (for me, anyway) most of my childhood was certainly not blissful. It sort of confounds me, actually, but I have legions of things simply because they remind me of when I was a child.

    Lovely image, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon, yes I have the legs just in case!

    Renee, maybe that is exactly why you feel the way you do.....isn't it much better to want to remember the 'good' things, even if they are surrounded by 'other' things. I think it is called hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome idea. And what a gorgeous table/painting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Retro Saturdays and can't wait to see what the latest retro find might be. Could this be the same table your parents had? It is beautiful and I think genius of you to hang it on the wall.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh, that is a beautiful painting...Hah, I remember being relegated to the card table as well to have dinner when oodles of people were at the house; how I despised that! ...missed all the good conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inger, I am sure the 'table manufacturer' made dozens of these tables. The one my parents had was probably used into oblivion as more kids arrived every two years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. fantastic idea...looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reminds me of the California hills when the poppies (California's state flower) are blooming. So lovely, and that's a great idea to use it as art!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Turning a table into art? You Gays are crafty!
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The table looks great as a piece of art. I'm fond of 50s furniture as well

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails