Saw this huge container freighter coming into Halifax Harbour yesterday
from our vantage point at Point Pleasant Park.
I did a little research:
* NYK means Nippon Yusen Kaisha.
* This is the NYK Daedalus.
* It was built in 2007
* TEU (twenty-foot equivalent unit/cargo capacity)....4800
* Class...NK (ensures Maritime safety and marine environment)
* NRT (Net Register Tonnage)...23,203
* GRT (Gross Register Tonnage)....55,534
As you can see, this was full to the rafters!
It was heading to one of two container terminals in the harbour.
There was a tugboat waiting for it a little further down the mouth of the harbour
to lead it in to the terminal.
Like most freighters, ocean liners and cruise ships that dock here,
most, if not all the crew, eventually disembark and head to the shops
in the downtown area of the city......especially the grocery stores.
Must feel good to get off the ship and walk on land for a while.