Monday, April 20, 2015

Contemplative Monday


The following is from 'The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh' (click)
and published by 'Shambhala Pocket Classics".


The World Of Living Reality

"One day a monk asked Chou-Chou to speak to him about Zen.
Chou-Chou asked, 'Have you finished your breakfast?'
'Yes, master, I have eaten my breakfast.'
'Then go and wash your bowl.'



'Go and wash your bowl.'
This is the same as saying, 'Go and live a realized life.'

Instead of giving the student some explanations about Zen,
the master opened the door and invited the young man
to enter the world of reality.
'Go and wash your bowl.'



These words contain no secret meaning to explore or explain.
They are a simple, direct, and clear declaration.
There is no enigma here, nor is this a symbol.
It refers to a very concrete fact."




12 comments:

  1. First things first, maybe. It does make sense, and spoken by a wise man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably has a lot of meanings but I think it is telling us to get out and live in every second/minute we have.....and not stay in our heads too long.
      Good to see you Jean.

      Delete
  2. I like it, I can do that, I can live one moment and do the next and not think about the next, thinking about the next, dreading the next, always makes sicker, this is a good simple one, thank you Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy peasy, Lorraine!
      Now, go wash your bowl!!

      Delete
  3. Enter the world of reality... Best place to be. Now, I think I'll go wash my bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Martha, go wash your bowl!! lol

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That crow refused to budge, Pat, as I was walking by.

      Delete
  5. The simple is often the hardest to practice! (Although the simplicity in photos often catches my eye and holds my attention.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simplicity is relative, I feel, Barb.
      I think you may have it down pat, at least from your latest post.

      Delete
  6. Always dishes to do! Sorry, Jim! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails