Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Gone Fishing


While walking the 'Northwest Arm' trail at the park on Monday I could hear a lot of squealing.


I looked out and saw that it was a flock of seagulls having their late afternoon snack.


A local fisherman had come in and by the looks of it was cleaning his 'catch'.


And the seagulls were the beneficiaries of the entrails.


 I remember when I was a kid, a neighbour would bring myself and a friend through this 


stretch of water and out beyond the harbour to catch haddock.


The seagulls would 'sit and wait' until we began to clean the fish.


Then the squealing would begin!! We would throw the entrails into the air 


and it would never hit the water. There was a hierarchy amongst them.


The oldest and the strongest would get their share first, then the weaker and the youngsters.


The way it should be, right? 


By the time I made it to the top of the trail, it appeared the fisherman was done.


He made an 'about turn' and headed for home. Which I assumed was not too far from here.


Fishing season has begun once again I Nova Scotia.



18 comments:

  1. Hello Jim,
    Reminiscent images for me and I can hear the seagulls - of family trips to the coast wonderful memories! Lovely pictures.
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so familiar with this sound Ivan, we hear them every day almost especially when it is stormy at sea...they tend to 'come ashore' till it passes.
      Nice that your family spent time at the coast....it is so refreshing and cleansing, don't you think?
      How's your garden going or should I say growing?

      Delete
  2. Great images, Jim. I'm sure the seagulls are happy that fishing season has begun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Martha! They will be celebrating every day from now till fall!!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful images. I love the little fishing boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! I found out yesterday that fishing season begins 1 May here in Nova Scotia. This fellow was having a 'warm up'!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jim - lovely fresh images. Gulls can be so aggressive in such circumstances! How's the patient BTW - any better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 'very fresh' that day Craig and that guy must have been freezing out there!! But they are tough, those guys!
      Ron is so much better now. Knock wood, I believe it is behind us. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  5. Cool shots! I thought that you had truly "gone fishing" as in took a break. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got cha! A break may be coming soon....we hate to plan things you know.
      I used to love to go fishing especially with that neighbour, Mr.Weir, back in the old neighbourhood.

      Delete
  6. Your pictures bring back so many memories, Jim! Like the time we came off the ferry in East Ferry, rounded a corner, and were blocked by a truck that had dropped a load of gurry! Talk about happy gulls! The cry of gulls is like the soundtrack to much of my early life. I enjoyed this post very much! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those frantic gulls!! Always seem to be starving (which they probably are much of their lives) and looking for the next meal!! Much like myself!!lol

      Yes I am sure you are very familiar with this 'music' Louise. That's what is missing in Colorado....gulls!!

      Delete
    2. LOL ~ Jim! We have gulls in Colorado! They hang out in the parking lots of some of our grocery stores! I was blown away when I first came to Colorado by the gulls. They're adaptive like coyotes!

      Delete
  7. When we were kids, we used to say (when we were mad) "I hate your GUTS". I guess those gulls would say, "I LOVE your GUTS". :-)

    P.S. I had some mean little cousins. They got better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a 'great' expression Kay! I remember it well!!
      Oh yes, don't the gulls love fish guts!!

      Delete
  8. It's like that around here too. Seagulls will flock to you car if you throw some McDonald's fries out the window. I don't know how they ever survived before McDonald's.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails